Just got my first Intel-Mac: questions about the transition

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just picked up my fancy new Black MacBook and went through the migration process of transfering everything from my "old" PowerMac G4.

A couple questions (that I am sure have been answered elsewhere, but my searches didn't zero in on these specific questions):

[1] Rather than doing the migration and moving apps and everything from my old Mac, should I not do that to avoid adding a bunch of minor non-univeral applications (like customization applets)? I've already done it, so if I found out it was a bad idea, I can always start over.

[2] How do I tell if a particuar app I am running is Universal?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If you do a get info on the app, it says if it's universal.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Go to "ABOUT THIS MAC" and then select MORE INFO to bring up the System Profiler. Scrol down and expand applications, then click to sort by KIND. You'll see clearly which apps are and which are not Universal.

Go down the list and replace any that have UB's available.

Pretty easy. Mine is cluttered with 30 or so PowerPC entries for the MS Office Suite and Adobe CS suite, other than that I'm looking pretty good.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    You can also run Activity Monitor and check under the 'Kind' column.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I did the automated migration from my old 12" PB to my new 15" MBP and was pleased with how that went. I knew I'd have to update a few things manually, and had some clean-up work to do -- for example, my Classic apps and Classic System Folder were moved to the new Mac even though the were useless on there (you can't run Classic on Intel, not that I'd used Classic on my old PB in a long time anyway).

One minor gotcha I didn't quite expect... Firefox. I use Firefox, and the version of Firefox I had on my PB, 1.5.0.3, was supposed to be Universal Binary (UB), but it was running awfully slowly, and wouldn't run Java applets.

As it turns out, what mattered wasn't which version of Firefox I'd been automatically updated to over time, but which version I'd originally installed -- 1.5.0.0, from before Firefox became a UB application.

The automated update process built into Firefox only kept my original installation up-to-date with PPC code, and never caused my Firefox app to become UB. A fresh install from a fresh 1.5.0.3 download fixed everything -- showing that not all Firefox versions 1.5.0.3 are created equal.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

One minor gotcha I didn't quite expect... Firefox. I use Firefox, and the version of Firefox I had on my PB, 1.5.0.3, was supposed to be Universal Binary (UB), but it was running awfully slowly, and wouldn't run Java applets.

As it turns out, what mattered wasn't which version of Firefox I'd been automatically updated to over time, but which version I'd originally installed -- 1.5.0.0, from before Firefox became a UB application.

The automated update process built into Firefox only kept my original installation up-to-date with PPC code, and never caused my Firefox app to become UB. A fresh install from a fresh 1.5.0.3 download fixed everything -- showing that not all Firefox versions 1.5.0.3 are created equal.

Exact same issue for me -- Firefox was running as a PowerPC app until I reinstalled it...