Is the MacBook display panel 6-bit or 8-bit?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am suspicious it is 6-bit because the specs just says 'millions of colours' but doesn't directly say 16.7, which implies that it might be 16.2 dithered..

The reason I suspect this is because I think I can see subtle color banding.. (subtle).

Anyone know?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Technarch

I am suspicious it is 6-bit because the specs just says 'millions of colours' but doesn't directly say 16.7, which implies that it might be 16.2 dithered..

The reason I suspect this is because I think I can see subtle color banding.. (subtle).

Anyone know?

6 bits per channel (18 bit color) would make it 262,144 colors. You'd know. It would look like ass.

Even with full 24 bit, you'll still see some banding. That doesn't go away until around 10 or 12 bits per channel.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Technarch

I am suspicious it is 6-bit because the specs just says 'millions of colours' but doesn't directly say 16.7, which implies that it might be 16.2 dithered.

For the numbers of colors, Apple usually leaves it at a vague "millions" rather than spelling out the number to the last digit. I think it is 8 bits per channel.