Adobe Design Collection

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anybody here ever purchased the Adobe Design Collection (or for that matter, any of their other bundles)? If so, can you tell me how the different programs are packaged? Are they distinct from one another, so that you could re-sell one of the programs to somebody else if you didn't need it? Or would that violate the licensing agreement anyway?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    I've never bought it from Adobe, but I have bought the Web Design Studio from Macromedia, I would imagine they are similar. In it, I got the Dreamweaver/Fireworks Studio, Freehand, and Flash. Three CDs , four serial numbers, and four manuals total. I had to agree to four different licensing agreements. As for the packaging, they all came loose in one box.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I bought the Adobe Web Collection in Dec. 2000 (Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive, Livemotion). The four CDs come in the one collection box, not separate boxes for each program. I wouldn't think it would violate licensing agreements to sell an individual program to another person (unless you leave the app on your machine for continued use. )
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    My software package arrived sooner than expected (thanks, Buy.com!) and I thought I'd follow up with an answer to my own question, in case anyone else is interested.

The license on the package specifically addresses the issue of splitting out individual apps for re-sale, and forbids repackaging or resale. In other words, Adobe says that if you sell one or more of the apps to someone else, their license is not valid.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I guess this makes sense form their perspective, if they let you do that, they would probably lose a lot of money. Sucks though.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    I guess at the very least, they have to prevent re-sellers from just splitting up the bundles. I don't know whether Acrobat's serial number would REALLY be unregisterable if I chose to sell it to someone else.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It probably wouldn't be unregisterable. I doubt that one serial number would be dependant on other numbers already being on your machine. Like I said, i don't have any of the Adobe Collections, only the Macromedia Web Design Studio, but I didn't install Freehand on my computer because I use Illustrator instead, and the other apps aren't freaking out that it isn't there. So I doubt that me giving it to someone else to use would cause any problems either. Besides, what if you have two computers and want half the apps on one machine, and half on the other? That's fully within your rights, (assuming that each app is only on one machine).

Although, (i just thought of this, and am too work it into what I wrote above) Adobe does keep up with the serial numbers that each customer does register. If the numbers in the collection arecreated in such a way that they can tell that they were sold to one person as part of a collection, then they might be suspicious if one of the apps is rgistered to your friend, while the rest are to you. Just a thought.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I've got this really unethical friend who buys software packages like you described, burns copies of them, and then sells the entire package on eBay. I told him not to do it but he wouldn't listen to me, says he saves hundreds of dollars and doesn't feel bad at all because he's a student.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Considering that Adobe willingly forgoes almost the entire profit on educational packages, that's worse than normal piracy.