Outlook/Entourage authentication problem, Eudora works. PC/Mac problem?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Quick background. I work for ISP, ISP has email server, email server requires 'authentication' when you login (But only if you are dialed into another provider). For instance, you dial into my isp, you can setup outlook, entourage, or eudora, (or whatever) and it checks mail fine. Okay, not you dial up to a competing provider and try to check the same email in outlook. It doesn't work, UNLESS you have authentication turned on, and THEN only if your on a PC. To sumarise. The only way I can check my email on our server while dialed up to another provider is to use eudora. Another person with the exact situation on a PC can do it just fine in outlook without problem. I have tried enturage, outlook, and an old outlook. All of them with 'authentication' turned on. Eudora works fine though. My question, is "authentication" even enabled on the mac or is that button just there for $hits and giggles? I'm kinda POed at Microsoft for this problem. Why does the mac version of these programs have this problem when the PC doesn't. I have triple checked all DNS entries, all usernames, and passwords. I KNOW what I'm talking about. (so no 1 sentance replies please). Thanks all!