I'm really quite cross about speculation on Conroe/Woodcrest in MacPros.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello! I'm a compulsive computer buyer and want to let you all know that if ThinkSecret is right, my head is set to explode.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...31215206.shtml

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jackbauerjackbauer Posts: 43member
    I wouldn't put much faith in it. TS has gone downhill ever since the lawsuit.

That being said, if the Mac Pro is using Conroe and not Woodcrest (which they should), then WWDC makes sense. The last I had seen had Conroe coming out in late July.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No kidding. The guy is an idiot. He doesn't even realize the Mac Pro is the workstation. Freaking clown.

Quote:

Link to article in post #1

ThinkSecret reports that they have heard that Xserve will take advantage of Intel's upcoming Woodcrest processor. Woodcrest is Intel's successor to the current "Xeon" server-targeted processors. There had been reports that the Woodcrest family of processors would be making it into "Macintosh workstations" as early as 3rd quarter. Indeed, Woodcrest, is expected in June of this year, with the rumor site expecting the Intel Xserve to follow in July.

Meanwhile, PowerMac revisions (Mac Pros) are expected to make the transition to the recently announced Core 2 Duo processors (codenamed Conroe). These processors are expected in July.

BTW, is there any chance of properly naming our threads here Placebo?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

BTW, is there any chance of properly naming our threads here Placebo?

Or following some of the other Posting Guidelines?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    This couldn't happen. Unless they plan to massive overclock those Conroes to heck and back, they'd have a $2000 machine competing with a $1200 Dell, and they'd look like total idiots. Conroe is the new mid- to high-range chip for desktops. Most desktops are going to have Conroes or Pentium Ds. A Mac Pro is supposed to be more than a high-end desktop, it's supposed to be a workstation. I could see a $2000 Mac Pro based on the highest speed Conroe, but that's it. Otherwise no one in their right mind would buy one.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, uh, Placebo... give it a title, and maybe just a *wee* bit of content, would you?

Thanks.

Otherwise you know I'll do it, and man, I'll have *fun* with it.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Count me in on the "TS accuracy has taken a dip" group. It makes little sense to ship an Intel based Xserve before the Powermac replacement unless chips are in very short supply.

Frankly Apple doesn't sell enough Xserves to warrant bringing them out first.

And you wouldn't want to use Conroe anyways because of the slightly slower fsb and lack of SMP. I call bull cackadoodoo.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Actually, when I heared the screaming and saw it was Placebo,

I knew he was referring to the ThinkSecret claims.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If chip volumes aren't high enough it could make sense to debut them in the XServe, especially since current XServes are only dual CPU and not quads. It'll take a lot to best a Quad G5 and we may have to wait for chips to ship in volume so that new Mac Pro tower prices can be "low".
  • Reply 9 of 20
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I think it's an excellent title.

And I feel the same godamn way, this had better not come to pass.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I thought Placebo was croaking...oh well.

How's that new PC Placebo?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    This goes well with the title...

Quote:

Quote MOSR:June will bring us new hardware and software updates, and one of Apple's biggest new product introductions in years; here's a June Preview Report that'll knock your socks off....

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view) the link to the report does not work. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    I doubt Apple will abandon their quad-core flagship workstation. Maybe they can use Conroe to replace the dual-core Power Macs but the quad would still require two CPUs, and those would have to be Woodcrests.

ThinkSecret kept repeating their prediction that the new MacBook would use a 13" panel with a 1280x720 resolution. They were wrong about that and they're probably wrong about this too.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

If he were dying, he wouldn't bother to write out "aaauuugghh!," now would he? Perhaps he meant The Castle AAuugghh.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

If the Mac Pro is set for August like TS says, the PC will be "bought". That's what it will be.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, uh, Placebo... give it a title, and maybe just a *wee* bit of content, would you?

Thanks.

Otherwise you know I'll do it, and man, I'll have *fun* with it.

HOW DO I EDIT TITLE WAIT I CAN'T
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You can, however, edit your message and remove the caps.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

If the Mac Pro is set for August like TS says, the PC will be "bought". That's what it will be.

We can't wait for you to buy that PC.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Done.

Now fill in the initial post.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Done.

Now fill in the initial post.

Thanks for the new thread name.

Quote:

We can't wait for you to buy that PC.

Why's that?

Hey! Wait! I know why it is! It's because I'd stop posting here and then you'd be so happy. Right? Haha, knew it! I'm a fucking detective!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks for the new thread name.

Why's that?

Hey! Wait! I know why it is! It's because I'd stop posting here and then you'd be so happy. Right? Haha, knew it! I'm a fucking detective!

Amazing deduction, Watson.