Paralells

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone heard of

http://www.parallels.com/

Their VM software for multi OS?

It looks very promising from what I have seen on Utube and reviews...my only question is.....could I play Counter Strike source in Windows...die...whilst waiting for the round to finish go back to editing a photo in aperture in OS X, stopping a moment to edit some code in Linux.

Basically, I'm wondering if I should pre order it....save myself a few bucks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rminklerrminkler Posts: 50member
    Windows running under parallels cannot use your GPU - so 3d games are pretty much out of the question, as far as I know.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    For gaming, it's better idea to go with Boot Camp so that you can boot into Windows.

Parallels and others have their uses though - if you want to just quickly use a non graphics-intensive app, or copy and paste text from one environment to the other. Also, as you say, there is the opportunity to run more than just Windows XP: you can use older versions of Windows, Linux, and pretty much any other x86 OS.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    danired18danired18 Posts: 47member
    What the heck this guy posted after me and i dont have any replies yet? MINE IS THE ONE LABELED BOOTCAMP QUESTIONS
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danired18

What the heck this guy posted after me and i dont have any replies yet? MINE IS THE ONE LABELED BOOTCAMP QUESTIONS

No one had anything to say on your post I would guess..

Anyway.......so would I be able to use my partition for bootcamp with the VM avaiblible?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Orionetheus

Anyway.......so would I be able to use my partition for bootcamp with the VM avaiblible?

No, Parallels currently only boots off an image.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Then what exactly is the point? could the image be expanded? (IE could I save data?)

if not Paralells....how could I use OS X, Linux, and Windows on the same Macbook Pro?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Then what exactly is the point? could the image be expanded? (IE could I save data?)

if not Paralells....how could I use OS X, Linux, and Windows on the same Macbook Pro?

Maybe you could do a little research first and then drop back in a little later....
  • Reply 8 of 8
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Paralells allows you to run several OSs, just about every flavor of Windows, Linux, BSD, OS2. I have it now, I run Windows XP to check web pages I have made in MacOSX but may look different for the rest of the viewers. I hope that Apple expands bootcamp to include a VM for those of us that need to use windows but don't want to have to leave OSX everytime I ned to check something in Windows.