MacBook and DSL

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My new MacBook 2.0 GHz should be here tomorrow. I want to hook it up to DSL, but the ATT website says the minimum requirement is 2.66 GHz. Will the MacBook work or am I stuck with standard dial-up? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    That's deceptive. First, that's the Windows requirements; look at the Mac requirements (which were probably written before Intel Macs arrived). Notice how the clock speed is a lot lower than 2.66 GHz? That's because the DSL provider is using the Pentium 4 as a basis for the requirements, and the Pentium 4 is one of the least efficient processors on the planet. An AMD Athlon 64 or IBM G5 at 1.8 GHz is probably as fast; an Intel Core Duo can probably manage that speed at 1.66 GHz!

A 2 GHz Core Duo like that in the MacBook will be more than enough. If your DSL provider has a custom installer program, don't believe it if it says you don't meet requirements. You can setup your connection manually if you have to.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Why would the internet ever need to be or be processor/processor speed specific.

I'm sorry I just don't get the statement or the question...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Why would the internet ever need to be or be processor/processor speed specific.

I'm sorry I just don't get the statement or the question...

Ditto.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It's an example of the absolute stupidity of the "experts" who were consulted at ATT for that advice.

- assuming that every single customer has a Windows machine

- not knowing jack about the processor speeds of anything except P4s

- not updating the information when the P4 is generations old

- not knowing that PPC chips have more efficiency and need less clockspeed

- they may think that Apple computers can't connect to the internet.

- they may think that Apple "went out of business" or was "bought by Bill Gates".

Like so many other things of this nature, the best thing to do is ignore it. If you have to call them for tech support, tell them you have a Dell. That way you can at least get the DNS server addresses without them cutting you off with the "we don't support MAC'S" bullshit.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'm using ATT (formerly SBC) DSL right now on a single processor G4 867. I have also used it on my G3 233 bondi iMac.

I have no idea what they were smoking when they put those minimum system requirements up.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kratoskratos Posts: 21member
    I had a similar instance when I had just moved to Wyoming (Big mistake unknowingly at the time). Well, I called the phone company to set up unlimited long distance and DSL, they asked if I was running Windows XP... Told them I was running OSX and the lady said I had to get the highest speed DSL because I run Mac. She also mentioned that MSN doesn't run on Mac. You think I don't know that? Good thing I found out I hate Wyoming within the first month.. they totally ripped me off.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoArnold

My new MacBook 2.0 GHz should be here tomorrow. I want to hook it up to DSL, but the ATT website says the minimum requirement is 2.66 GHz. Will the MacBook work or am I stuck with standard dial-up? Thanks.

ATT probably has minimum requirements because they want to install application crap onto a Windows machine. Stay away from all applications distributed by ISP's.

Connect the modem into a wireless router and be done with it. As other have written: it doesn't matter what speed your processor is for it to be online.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    It doesn't depend on the processor. Most people know that thier computer is 2.66ghz where they might not know if they have a USB2 port or an ethernet port, both of which would be included on any computer that was 2.66ghz.