iTunes "Smart Alphabetization"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This falls into the "nitpicking" category, but it sure would be nice if there was an option to have iTunes ignore articles ("The," etc.) when displaying song titles & band names in alphabetical order.

It's not so much of a problem when I enter the tags myself (and can, for example, enter "Replacements, The" instead of "The Replacements"). But most CDDB lookups stick the "The" at the beginning.

This would be especially helpful when displaying info on the iPod's small screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    That would be convenient for users, and easy for them to implement, just not important enough for them to bother. You could send them feedback on it.

On a related note, I've noticed that in iTunes if you have an artist that starts with parentheses(sp?) it gets alphabatized to the begining, but on the iPod it ignores them and places it in the middle of the alphabet, ignoring the parentheses. I know it's not important but it would be nice if they kept them working the same way.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    I wish iTunes would remember state between launches.

I still shutdown my Mac every night (sleep on my B&W G3 is not deep and it's flakey in OS X). If I'm shuffle-playing my 5 days worth of music, it plays from a different spot in a different order each time I re-launch. If I'm just playing straight through (as I must if I don't want repeats until everything's been heard at least once), I must remember what song I was at the last time I was listening and manually go to that song.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>I wish iTunes would remember state between launches.

I still shutdown my Mac every night (sleep on my B&W G3 is not deep and it's flakey in OS X). If I'm shuffle-playing my 5 days worth of music, it plays from a different spot in a different order each time I re-launch. If I'm just playing straight through (as I must if I don't want repeats until everything's been heard at least once), I must remember what song I was at the last time I was listening and manually go to that song.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I completely agree, I have more than 8 days worth of music (mostly legitimately owned) and I think that feature woud be really great.

I also think a feature that would start and stop playing at specified times, like an alarm clock and sleep timer thing. I think Audion had something like this.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I tried using CronTab and Applescript to automate this, but it doesn't work at a deep enough level to wake from sleep (both itself and me ). Any other ideas?