Installed new RAM on MacBook and.....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just upgraded some RAM on my Macbook 1.83 from 512mb(2x256) too 2gb. Followed the instructions but didn't push the sticks in far enough, and as a result had some wierd pixel artifact appearing on the screen on the OSX dash.

Shut the machine down and gave the sticks another push, damn tight, had to use the casing for leverage.

Finally sticks seems to click into place. Boot the machine up pixel thing still there, reboot, and now its gone.

Just wonder if any one knows if this may have cause some damage?

The iBook and G5 weren't as tight to fit ram.

Many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I know how you feel. I very much doubt any damage has been done. What I was more afraid of was damaging something trying to put that RAM in there... sheesh!!! I never did get mine to "click"... but I seem to be running okay. If I should start to have funky problems, that'll be the first thing I check. I really hope they have some good reinforcement behind those sockets.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cheverchever Posts: 5member
    thanks for the reply Joey,

Shouldn't have used the word - click into place, because they didn't, more like squeezed.

I have upgraded memory before in PC's, G5 dp2.3 and iBook 12", and I have say the MacBook was the toughest.

Performed a hardware check and it didn't alert me to anything, so finger cross.

Kev.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Confirmed here; those sockets are very tight. Almost got out the hammer.