Looking for a mail widget

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm looking for a mail widget that will check if I have new messages without relying on Mail.app.

I'm in Shanghai, China, and Mail.app just doesn't work with my email accounts while I'm over here. I've tried everything humanly possible (including making phone calls to the SysAdmins to verify proper settings). I hate having two Webmail windows open all the time, and want a simple widget that will periodically check and give me a tally of new messages on two pop3 accounts.

Anyone know of something that will work?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    If mail.app can't check your email, it's doubtful that you'll find a widget that will.

You could try telneting into the pop3 server to diagnos the problem. Nearly all email clients are actually just graphical wrappers of a telnet connection on port 110.

Try typing this in the terminal:

telnet pop3.yourserver.com 110

USER yourusername

PASS yourpassword

Telnet is very useful when diagnosing pop issues. You'll be able to see how the server is responding to each pop command. In my opinion, mail.app needs an easier way of seeing pop dialogs when something goes wrong; basically, a detailed error log.

The first link that google turns up is:

http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_san...pop3telnet.htm

• Reply 2 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Have you looked at this.. POP . It looks like what you want. Another solution would be to forward those pop accounts to gmail while you are over there and use gmail notifier.

reg