A Girls' Leadership Camp in Macedonia

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
As some of you know, I've been living with my wife in Macedonia since '04. We do a lot of stuff here, and this camp I think has the most direct impact and is among the most worthwhile of either of our work. Hopefully some of you generous fellow AIers have some interest in this worthwhile cause. Feel free, of course, to PM or email me for any more info, questions, or anything really. What follows is a description of the camp that I penned up:

My wife, Danielle, along with several other women Peace Corps volunteers here in Macedonia, are holding a camp this summer for teenage girls in Macedonia (ages 14-18) called ?Camp GLOW? (Girls Leading Our World). By all accounts, Macedonia is a man?s world. In some parts of the country, particularly in villages, women rarely leave the house, and if you were to visit these villages and walk around visiting shops and restaurants, you would wonder how a village of nothing but men ever came to be. In urban areas, the appearance is different?some women hold political offices and many have careers. But the existence of negative gender stereotyping and glass-ceilings unquestionably exist.

This will be the 4th year for this leadership camp, and it has grown every year up to this. Girls from all over the country will have an opportunity to get together and make new friends across different ethnicities, cultural, and economic backgrounds. For one week, they will stay in a beautiful part of the country and attend sessions on career and life planning, self-esteem and confidence building, ecology, and even self-defense. Furthermore, Macedonia is a poor country (average family income is about $10-$15/day, less in the villages) and for many of the girls who attend this camp, it may be only their first or second time to have an opportunity to leave their hometown or village.

I truly believe this is a wonderful opportunity for the young women of Macedonia and something worth supporting, and that?s why I?m sending out this email. If you would like, and we sure would like you to, you can make a tax-deductible donation to help make this camp possible directly through the Peace Corps website (see the link below). Whether you can donate $5 or $500, your donation really will make this camp possible. The cost for each girl is around $130 and no money will be used for the expenses of the Peace Corps volunteers organizing and running the camp. If you are interested in any more details about the camp, or specifics of the sustainability and project plan, feel free to send me an email. I should mention that in case this project does not raise enough money, your donation will be dispersed to other equally worthwhile Peace Corps volunteer community projects worldwide.

Link to donate:

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?...ojdesc=249-016

Link with more information and pictures from last year?s camp:

http://campglow.tripod.com/id1.html

If you got all the way to this part of the post, thanks for reading!

Adam Sickmiller (progmac)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I got an error opening the first link.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    It sounds like a good cause, I wish you all the best with it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    link fixed, thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

As some of you know, I've been living with my wife in Macedonia since '04. We do a lot of stuff here, and this camp I think is the most impactful and worthwhile of either of our work.

Okay, I made a donation. I might even donate more if you promise to never, ever use that abomination of a word "impactful" again.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Okay, I made a donation. I might even donate more if you promise to never, ever use that abomination of a word "impactful" again.

okay, i promise in my defense, i feel like my English has regressed to mid-college levels since living here, and i find myself searching for words more than i should be. and thanks for the donation