Boot Camp Users

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

I have a few questions for Bootcamp Beta Users. To make it short, i will list them:

1. Is the beta a safe application to use until the actual version comes out?

2. I read somewhere that you need the Microsoft XP disc aswell, is this true?

3. If any of you play Online Games:

... a. Does Battlefield 2 or Star Wars Galaxies work efficiently?

... b. Is it worth installing for games? I have a custom PC, but i hate it.

4. Any pros/cons you have?

Thank you,

- Mops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mopsicle

Hello,

I have a few questions for Bootcamp Beta Users. To make it short, i will list them:

1. Is the beta a safe application to use until the actual version comes out?

Absolutely.

Quote:

2. I read somewhere that you need the Microsoft XP disc aswell, is this true?

Well yes, of course. You need to get a normal XP box, both the license and the media to install with.

Quote:

3. If any of you play Online Games:

... b. Is it worth installing for games? I have a custom PC, but i hate it.

Well, that depends on your machine.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mopsiclemopsicle Posts: 25member
    Good, i have XP home edition, i think..somewhere.

World of Warcraft runs great on my laptop, but i dunno if a high framerate game such as BF2 would run as well. Some people said it was almost as good as some of the pre-made towers for gaming, but some reason i doubt that.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    1) It is beta software that involves repartitioning your hard drive. Backup to say the least. That said, I didn't have any serious partition problems Disk Utility couldn't fix easily.

2) You need Windows XP service pack 2 specifically. No upgrade disks, no SP1. they don't work unless you want to hunt for drivers one at a time and that's a pain in the butt.

3) Games will work like any Windows machine. It depends on your hardware so check the specs of what is in the machine. Generally, the MacBook Pros are excellent while the MacBooks suffer in the 3D category

4) No frontrow/webcam support in XP. Everything else works as expected.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

2) You need Windows XP service pack 2 specifically. No upgrade disks, no SP1. they don't work unless you want to hunt for drivers one at a time and that's a pain in the butt.

I have no clue what XP service pack 2 is...really. Never really focused on this windows stuff...

4) No frontrow/webcam support in XP. Everything else works as expected.

Does this mean that i cant use it ever use it? even if i go onto OSX? or just when i us the XP portion?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Does this mean that i cant use it ever use it? even if i go onto OSX? or just when i us the XP portion?

It means you can't use it while within Windows. Mac OS X use is not affected.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Alright, i was about to install it, but thankfully i reread the whole FAQ first. I need service pack to on my XP installation disc. The only disc i have doesnt come with SP2. Is there any other way without buying the actual SP2 disc? Or am i pretty much screwed?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Alright, i was about to install it, but thankfully i reread the whole FAQ first. I need service pack to on my XP installation disc. The only disc i have doesnt come with SP2. Is there any other way without buying the actual SP2 disc? Or am i pretty much screwed?

You can create an SP2 disc yourself; it's legal. Search for "slipstreaming".
  • Reply 8 of 11
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    To elaborate.... "slipstreaming" is when you take an existing disk image... add files to it... and create a new image. In this case, you'll download the complete XP SP2 update from Microsoft... Download XP SP2 Here

Now Google "slipstreaming". You'll find tons of articles on how to do it. You'll basically be updating your existing Windows CD to SP2 (and it's completely legal... SP2 is a free Windows update).

Be warned though... as you don't sound as if you have a great deal of experience with low level functions like partitioning... you can wipe out your OS X partition when you install Windows. This isn't a problem with BootCamp. Once you boot to start the Windows installation, OS X can't protect you anymore. When Windows asks you which partition to install on, it will install on whichever partition you tell it... including your existing OS X partition. Just follow the instructions on Apples site for installing BootCamp and Windows. It's very simple... but often people think they can just click away and nothing bad will happen. This is one of those "follow the instructions" deals.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    To the thread starter, Mopsicle, what kind of Mac do you have? The Intel iMacs and Macbook Pros run games phenomenally. Here's a video of Half-Life 2 running smooth as butter on an iMac:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v6knSCXMQM&search=
  • Reply 10 of 11
    XP works great on my macbook 2.0 ghz with 1gig ram and 100 gig hdd. Only thing that is bad is that the iSight doesn't work. The installation was great and the drivers fixed the screen resolution. I havent done any gaming on windows side so I don't have anything to say about that. XP home is fine and is very fast.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I have to admit... I installed BootCamp and XP on my MacBook thinking it would be handy to have XP on hand if I wanted it (I have other PC notebooks... and a PC desktop... but my MacBook is what I usually have around)... as it turns out, the only think I ever seem to go into Windows for is just to get updates once in a while. I don't really seem to have a "need" for anything on the Windows side.