Horrible noise while burning a cd

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
New iMac 20". Sometimes it makes the horrible loud growl while burning a cd. It was so bad yesterday I just cancelled the burn. DVDs don't seem to make any noise. I am going to try a different brand of cd to make sure it isn't just the particular brand that is causing a problem. Anyone else have issues like this? Also, if I need to take it in to the Apple Store, what exactly do I take? Just the power cord?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    The label printing may be offcentered (?)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    After making almost 5000 CDs over the past three years (I made listening materials for my students of English), I can say that cheaper CDs can cause a horrible whine and shake the machine like hell. Spend a little more and use better CDs. TDK are good.

If the racket keeps up even with bigger named CDs, take the machine in. The iMac and power cord should do the trick.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    turboturbo Posts: 31member
    Thanks they are memorex, but the problem is they are the only brand I have found my car cd player to agree with.

Also, sorry I thought I was in the Genius Bar when I posted this. Any mod please move to appropriate place.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I live in Japan where Memorex is not that big of a brand so I have never worked with them, but remember they are a good name in the States. Sounds like you might want to give Apple a call or slip the machine in. Make sure you take a couple of CDs to show them what it sounds like (on record it at home).

Understood on the car stereo. It would be nice if all makes worked well with all brands, but it simply isn't the case. I sometimes had to burn my student CDs on different brands for those kids whose players couldn't read the original. A very time consuming endeavor, but fortunately at work I had the use of a duplicator tthat made things rather easy for bulk jobs.

Good luck.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    PS

I also have a 20" iMac at work and this week put it through its paces burning 30 full length CDs and 30 hour long DVDs, all TDK. No noise whatsoever.