iTunes eats 50% CPU while idle???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am using both a PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB ram, etc, and a MB Pro. I'll leave my platform comments out of the picture (sadly, for now, I still need the PB, it is ...a lot faster, back in that mythical place called the real world, while running anything Adobe, which I live within), and ask a question about iTunes...

I am using iTunes 6.0.4 and teh latest QuickTime 7 pro (whatever the point update is, um, lemme check, aha: 7.1.1).

I was wondering why my PB is crawling all of a sudden, when I have no big apps open. I hit top -u in terminal, and noticed that iTunes is taking up 52% of the CPU... WHILE IDLE.

I rebooted, I have de-installed all wacky, third-party, bleeding-edge visualizer plug-ins, no other strangeness present. It is still eating 48-52% of CPU while doing... NOTHING. No video, no song playing, no podcast downloading. NOTHING.

And here's the weirdest thing, when I actually use it to play a song... it starts using 14-23% of CPU.

Whut up with dat? When did this happen. I mean I know iTunes is by necessity everything and the kitchen-sink infest Windoze/iPod bloatware, but 50% CPU while idle, is some weird bug somewhere, which wasn't present a few months ago.

I am alone on planet iTunes is eating my CPU <burp>, or does this happen to other people too?

Oh yeah, this doesn't happen on the MB Pro, but it ALSO has a HIGHER CPU use when IDLE, vs. when in use. WTF???

thanks for the reality check

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I have a 17" Intel iMac

top -u results:

When iTunes is idle and hidden: 0.1% CPU

When iTunes is playing a song and window is open: 4 to 7% normally (up to 20% when changing something, i.e. next song)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    I had the same results as WhiteRabbit. You seem to be alone with this problem.

Noah
  • Reply 3 of 4
    (Whoops, nevermind. Didn't read the post carefully enough!)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    richardhrichardh Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

I have a 17" Intel iMac

top -u results:

When iTunes is idle and hidden: 0.1% CPU

When iTunes is playing a song and window is open: 4 to 7% normally (up to 20% when changing something, i.e. next song)

Thanks for the replies, this drove me crazy for an afternoon because I didn't understand what was happening. To make a long story short, I've ripped my entire cd collection to mp3's and 4's. I have no actual files on either the PowerBook or MBP, it all lives on an external 500GB eSata drive, connected using the G-Tech Q quad-interface, utilizing FW800 to connect.

I have 22,000 tracks, about a thousands videos, and when all is said and done, it takes up roughly 400GB of disk space and growing.

I also have folders, sub-folders, and maybe 2,000 smart playlists.

I turned off "Live Updating" on smart playlists, and suddenly iTunes is back to taking pretty close to 1% of CPU when idle.

D'oh.