FileMaker 6

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was talking to a salesman for Filemaker volume licensing the other day about upgrading to version 5.5. He said that if I bought it now, I'd be eligible for a free upgrade to version 6 and that its release is imminent. I know this isn't big news for everybody, but I was reminded of this today when I saw a screen shot of the utilities in Jaguar on Think Secret. It had an ODBC Administrator utility, which I would guess points to the fact that Filemaker 6 very well might actually support ODBC under OS X finally.

Matthew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Great!

I do hope FM6 makes it easier to use Filemaker databases on a website.

While FM5 has the abiilty to do 'instant web publishing' most servers don't seem to support it. Trying to learn PHP and MYSQL has my head spinning. I know most people on this board may disagree with that, but I'm a long time Mac print publisher who simple doesn't code - I point and click.

I do use Filemaker though, so if that could easily be linked to a site made in GoLive, I could take a longer vacation this summer!

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: Frank777 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    On Friday I ordered $4,000 worth of Filemaker Pro 5.5, Filemaker Mobil 2 and Filemaker Pro Server 5.5. I also bought the subscription package so I will get ALL the upgrades for ALL my licenses for the next TWO years.

...too bad it takes #$%* 7 minutes just to open a dialog box in FileMaker 5.5 in OS X. It's almost unusable for developing databases! I hope 6.0 is fast and kicks @ss with Jaguar!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Also, I've noticed that when you try to print, say page 26 and 27 of 30, it just sends through 2 blank pages. No fix released yet... it had better work in 6.

Matthew
  • Reply 4 of 5
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    Just to add some confirmation, they'll be doing a presentation in the new Apple Store in NYC on:

"Understanding how to get the most from FileMaker Pro 6"

"Tue Aug 6"

<a href="http://www.apple.com/retail/soho/theater.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/retail/soho/theater.html</a>;
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have to chime in to agree that I want to see better instant web publishing in FM6.

I would think by now they would have it so it renders the database picture perfect (same as the non-web layouts) through the web complete with relation dependent value lists.

I had to piece together a web served FM5 database using CDML in Claris Homepage (which isn't even supported anymore, I think). What a pain.