Why I prefer Garagand over pro alternatives

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It took a while but I finally realized I actually like GB better than the other stuff out there. Initially, I was offended by GB. I thought it dummied down the process. I am a real musician and I wanted my software to treat me like one. GB was afraid of simple terms like "MIDI" and "AUDIO." Still, I used it for a job here and there. Now, i cant do a project without it. I also have PTLE with the Mbox and Logic Express. When I was a PC user back in the day, I used Vegas Audio, Cakewalk, and Cubase. I now find it painful to use PT and LE, and a joy to use GB. Here's why.

Interface

I am sure it is out there, but I have yet to find a pro music app that looks or acts like it was written for a modern OS. Everything looks like it was written for OS9. In the pro world, there is a lot of inertia when it comes to tools. Workflow is determined by the hardware and software of the initial setup. Many pros hung on to OS9 rigs. The software companies never really move forward all that much.

Process

Doing simple things is made overly complex in pro audio software. Try using a USB mic in logic or using a MIDI keyboard to play music in PT without a thick manual and a lot of time. In GB, it all just works. Is Apple the only company that can do this? In GB, you have zero setup time and very little learning curve. When I have a musical thought, GB is the first and last place i need to go. Sometimes other programs make sense after most of the work has been done in GB.

Compatibility

All of my hardware just works in GB. It is all just plug and play. Mics, MIDI, it all does what you expect it to do. Other programs require a lot of configuration before you can use them with anything. Drivers and software updates have to be considered as compatibility issues as well. Obviously, GB will be compatible with the most current OS all the time. Other programs can take quite a while to catch up with what Apple is doing.

Finally, GB is a deceptively powerful tool. Apple has done a very good job in providing most of the tools that a musician would need to complete a small project. The one thing that GarageBand is not very useful for is recording, well, a garage band. I only wish I could use the plug-ins from Logic in GB. When it is all said and done, if I had to use only one program for a the types of projects I do, I would have to choose GB. By the way, if someone knows how to use the plug-ins from Logic in GB, I would love to know.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Great info MV. I'm looking to dabble more with GB but I'm going to get a little midi KB first of course.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have had the pleasure of using the fantastic soundtrack pro app bundled with FCP; they should reallllly unbundle that and sell it as a "podcast studio" it is, imho, way better than GB, having worked with tools like Vagas, and Audition, I can say that STP is a pro level app that a lot of podcasters would pay good money for...I would...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I have had the pleasure of using the fantastic soundtrack pro app bundled with FCP; they should reallllly unbundle that and sell it as a "podcast studio" it is, imho, way better than GB, having worked with tools like Vagas, and Audition, I can say that STP is a pro level app that a lot of podcasters would pay good money for...I would...

Why do you love it so?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Why do you love it so?

key change, sound cleanup, better interface(IMHO) and it just has more power with plugins and stuff...see for yourself with 6 short demo videos
  • Reply 5 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I love it. The place I'm disappointed (and hoping for improvement in the next release) is with scoring. I was pleased that the last revision gave real time music notation, but I'd like to be able to print out scores. I still like to be able to see the music on paper. For now I use Finale for that.