a word to the wise, and a parable

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sometimes we forget that not everyone who owns a Mac is wealthy, although I'm sure Apple would prefer it that way.

I bought my Ibook last year. At the time I had limited funds. I bought two batteries, and Applecare. I had to make a choice: devote my time and resources to my work or buy more software. I cut corners on the software. Big mistake.

My first battery failed last month. To conserve on the second I've been following the advice of someone on this board (or maybe one of the others) and running without the battery in place.

Last week I had a minor screw-up: pulled the plug out. Lost a bit of typing; it wasn't enough that I couldn't recreate the idea. Now I'm on the phone with a friend, in a heated argument, and I go back to my computer and the screen is black. It sounds like everything is fine (I hear the hard drive) and nothing is up. I can only assume that the power got interrupted again for a moment, and the computer is in never-never land-between shutting off and shut off.

I had no choice: force a shutdown by pulling the plug.

1) Listen at your peril to people on the boards. You don't know that the guy running the I-book unplugged has an APC backup system.

2) Invest in a good back-up system before you do anythihng else, and take the time to learn and use it.

3) Pay attention.

Of course the one thing unsaid: be poor at your own risk!

Oh, the parable. I forgot what it was...

Comments