Is OS X 10.5 Leopard going to be Intel Mac's only?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone know if OS X 10.5 is going to be PowerPC and Intel?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Assuming this is a legitimate question...

I can't think of a single reason why they would alienate the majority of it's installed customer-base and release an operating system that runs ONLY on hardware that most have not purchased.

Not to mention, there are no Intel PowerMacs (MacPros?) even out yet.

It would be a dismal failure on many levels if they did do that...

...but I am 99.99% confident that this version (10.5) and quite possible the next couple/few will continue to be supported on PowerPC hardware.

good evening...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by - Ø®£Z -

Apple will support both architectures for the foreseeable future. Anything else would be insane.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs said it the momment it was announced.

But its also common sense.

G3s will have no/minimial compatabilty with 10.5 probably however.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Yes, as in the sense that both PPC and Intel machines will run it.

No, because I think there will be added features (Virtualization, etc..., all Intel-proc dependent) that will only work on Mactels.

But, as another poster said, Apple will not alienate the vast majority of it's user base. So do not think your PPC machine is junk/useless.

Noah
  • Reply 5 of 13
    - ?(r)?z -- ?(r)?z - Posts: 127member
    I only asked because Apple OS X Tiger is pretty damn awesome; it'll be good for a long time.

Whereas, with Apple changing its whole line to Intel, they may have been considering making 10.5 & later Intel only so they wouldn't have to bring PowerPC any further into the future and could focus all of their new creative energy on Intel Mac's only.

I agree, it would be insane to alienate the majority of their PowerPC user base. But, with OS X Tiger stretching to 10.4.9, PowerPC computers are going to be good with that for a long time.

Leopard could maybe be a strong selling point Apple will use as a reason to purchase an Intel mac, instead of a person staying with PowerPC.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Not gonna happen. With 10.6? Perhaps. 10.7? Likely. But 10.5? No.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    In a word... No, future versions of OS X should be supported for at least the next two and maybe even three major updates. Lets not forget Apple hasn't even finished migrating all the machines yet and then when that day does come (mid/end 2006 lets assume) I'd imagine they'll still be 'shipping' older PPC based units to certain customers well into 2007.

While history doesn't always forecast future events, here's something to think about....

1994 - Apple starts using the PowerPC

1995 - Mac OS 7.5

1995 - Apple stops shipping the last of the 68k based Mac's

1997 - Mac OS 7.6

1997 - Mac OS 8.0

1998 - Jan / Mac OS 8.1 (still supports 68k based Macs)

1998 - Oct / Mac OS 8.5 & drops 68k hardware support

So, it seems Apple was pretty generous with regard to supporting old hardware back in the day... but like I said - what they *did then* isn't necessarily any indication of what they'll do this time around.

PPC Supporting OS X - My Magic 8 Ball Says:

Mac OS X 10.5 - "You may rely on it"

Mac OS X 10.6 - "Signs point to yes"

Mac OS X 10.7 - "Cannot predict now"

Mac OS X 10.8 - "Don't count on it"

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

I agree, it would be insane to alienate the majority of their PowerPC user base. But, with OS X Tiger stretching to 10.4.9, PowerPC computers are going to be good with that for a long time.

One point to note Tiger can go way beyond 10.4.9, it is not a decimal system, there is no reason that it can't go up to 10.4.15, 10.4.36 etc. etc.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

PPC Supporting OS X - My Magic 8 Ball Says:

Mac OS X 10.6 - "Signs point to yes"

Mac OS X 10.7 - "Cannot predict now"

Mac OS X 10.8 - "Don't count on it"

Hmm,

Mac OS X 10.6 - "Signs point to yes for G5 Macs. G4 Macs? Isn't it about time you upgraded?"

Mac OS X 10.7 - "This is it for G5 Macs"

Mac OS X 10.8 - "Don't you know its 2010?"
  • Reply 10 of 13
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Hmm,

Mac OS X 10.6 - "Signs point to yes for G5 Macs. G4 Macs? Isn't it about you upgraded"

Not sure I agree.... Remember Apple just this/last month stopped selling Pro G4 based systems (PowerBooks) and the total number G4 based systems sold as a whole far outnumber the total number of G5 based systems sold. The G4 first stated shipping in late 1999 while the G5 was introduced in late 2003.

Anyway. I just couldn't see them doing a 'PPC G5 Only' release... It wouldn't make sense from a technical perspective (it'll either run on PPC or it wont) but I guess from a marketing point of view... yea it might be possible.

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 13
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Hmm,

Mac OS X 10.6 - "Signs point to yes for G5 Macs. G4 Macs? Isn't it about you upgraded"

Didn't Apple say it was going to slow down the OS Upgrade cycle? Assuming an 18 month cycle you get;

Mac OS X 10.5 - 2006 4Q

Mac OS X 10.6 - 2008 2Q

Mac OS X 10.7 - 2009 4Q

Mac OS X 10.8 - 2011 2Q

With this 'aggressive' schedule the youngest PPC Mac will be 5 years old when 10.8 comes out. A 2 year cycle pushes the 5 year mark to 10.7.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by aresee

Didn't Apple say it was going to slow down the OS Upgrade cycle?

Yes.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Anyway. I just couldn't see them doing a 'PPC G5 Only' release... It wouldn't make sense from a technical perspective (it'll either run on PPC or it wont) but I guess from a marketing point of view... yea it might be possible.

Dave

You were right the first time. I have no record of a G5-exclusive software title. Certainly, no such title was released by Apple as a commercial product. Let us not forget that most of Apple's computer lines were never ported to the G5. These include the PowerBook, eMac, iBook, and Mac mini. It makes scant little sense for Apple to release software that covers such a narrow band of its own hardware spectrum.

Bottomline: It ain't gonna happen.