Best app for rotating jpegs?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I need to rotate a few hundred jpg images, making individual rotations on each one (not batch rotate). I've been using GraphicConverter, but after a few dozen I noticed a troubling degradation in image quality after rotation. This is using GC's more accurate internal algorithm instead of Quicktime's, with error correction.

Are there any graphics pros here that know of a way to rotate jpgs that's less "lossy"? These images are fairly low res, so I can't afford to lose any quality. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I need to rotate a few hundred jpg images, making individual rotations on each one (not batch rotate). I've been using GraphicConverter, but after a few dozen I noticed a troubling degradation in image quality after rotation. This is using GC's more accurate internal algorithm instead of Quicktime's, with error correction.

Are there any graphics pros here that know of a way to rotate jpgs that's less "lossy"? These images are fairly low res, so I can't afford to lose any quality. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

iPhoto will do this. So too will GraphicConverter. The only thing is that you cannot accept GC's default compression ratio when you save your rotated image.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    GraphicConverter is a good app for doing this. However, to preserve quality, change the image to something that isn't lossy like TIFF. Then do all the rotates and such. The final step may be to go back to jpeg if file size is a concern. Otherwise, keep the images in anything but jpeg if you care about image quality.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Try Xee for lossless rotation:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...Container_link

Don't worry about the images looking jagged in the viewer - it uses OpenGL for fast viewing.