iTunes music store error 5002

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone else been getting this error when trying to view their shopping cart on the iTMS? I have been buying music through the iTMS for 2 years now, and this is the first time I have seen this error. Its been going on for several days now. I have tried updating my CC info and signing out and back in, restarting iTunes, restarting my Mac. A Google search for "iTunes music store error 5002" yields some threads on various forums (example ), but nothing that indicates any systemic problems. Any further info or ideas?

edit: apparently if I turn off the shopping cart and go with one-click it works fine... but I don't want to do this because I use the shopping cart to hold items in which I am interested until I am ready to buy them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    I had the same problem briefly today.

I had placed one of the free videos in my shopping cart shortly before midnight, but when I went to my shopping cart slightly after, I received the same error.

After reading your post, I turned on 1-click, closed the preferences window, reopened the preferences window and turned off 1-click. My shopping cart was then useable again. (In fact, the free video was still there and free, so I clicked get it, and it downloaded just fine.)

Thank you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Go figure... they day that I send an email to Apple about the problem, things just start working again. Good riddance to several days of hair pulling aggravation.

By the way, Lucy, I had added a free video to my shopping cart at some point as well. I can't recall if my problems started right then, but perhaps they did. Hmmmmmmm.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Go figure... they day that I send an email to Apple about the problem, things just start working again. Good riddance to several days of hair pulling aggravation.

By the way, Lucy, I had added a free video to my shopping cart at some point as well. I can't recall if my problems started right then, but perhaps they did. Hmmmmmmm.

This problem appears to have resurfaced, over the Easter weekend I started getting this error message, interestingly iTunes can still see my shopping cart because if I try to add a tune, it recognises if it is already in the cart or not.. weird.. unfortunately turning 1-click on then off again in preferences, has not worked, I'm still getting the error message.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    My fix for the dreaded 5002 error:

NOTE: If you screw up and wipe out your Apps, you're SOL. You should also know that iTunes may want to reinstall all your applications on your iPhone/iPod, so it might be best to hold off doing this until you're ready for this (and bear in mind that my experience with iPhone application remove/install hasn't been stellar, and I've had to completely restore from scratch a few times).

1. Back up Mobile Applications from /Users/myusername/Music/iTunes by dragging them to another disk -- simply moving them elsewhere on the same disk doesn't work, since iTunes keeps track of their location. Duplicating the folder would likely work too, if you haven't got anywhere else to copy them.

2. Once you have the Mobile Applications folder backed up, and have verified and reverified that you've got a copy and haven't simply moved the folder, open iTunes WITHOUT YOUR IPHONE/IPOD CONNECTED and select all your applications and delete them. (if your iPhone/iPod were connected, it would now start helpfully deleting apps)

3. When they're all gone, quit iTunes

4. Start iTunes again and verify that you have no apps listed.

5. Drag your backup Mobile Applications folder to your open iTunes window -- if you have default iTunes settings (copy/manage my music), then iTunes will start re-adding your applications. The nice thing about this is that it also eliminates all the duplicate apps and renames along the way -- all those updates you keep doing don't get rid of older versions, so these just pile up as "Application 1", 2, 3, etc. You may end up saving a lot of disk space. Many apps have gone through name changes too, so you may clear up some confusion and duplication too.

6. Read the iTunes notices carefully -- you will likely get something like "an OLDER version of this app already exists, do you want to replace it" (you DO), or "a NEWER version of this app already exists, do you want to replace it" (you DON'T), or sometimes a mention that this app already exists as the same version (replace it).

7. Quit iTunes, then restart it to "set" the changes

You will end up with a pristine iTunes Mobile Applications folder at the end of this process, and will likely save some space too.

Your 5002 error should also be gone too.

REMEMBER THAT YOU COULD POTENTIALLY LOSE ALL YOUR APPLICATIONS IF YOU SCREW UP, so please do this at your own risk, and as always, make sure you have backups!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Has anyone else been getting this error when trying to view their shopping cart on the iTMS? I have been buying music through the iTMS for 2 years now, and this is the first time I have seen this error. Its been going on for several days now. I have tried updating my CC info and signing out and back in, restarting iTunes, restarting my Mac. A Google search for "iTunes music store error 5002" yields some threads on various forums (example ), but nothing that indicates any systemic problems. Any further info or ideas?

edit: apparently if I turn off the shopping cart and go with one-click it works fine... but I don't want to do this because I use the shopping cart to hold items in which I am interested until I am ready to buy them.

Hello, sorry new to all of this. How do I get to my preferences or even turn on/off one click?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post

Hello, sorry new to all of this.

Including thread necros, it seems.

Quote:

How do I get to my preferences...

In the Menu Bar, iTunes/Preferences

Quote:

...or even turn on/off one click?

You can't. That was years ago. Just be careful.