Making an attempt to leap from the darkside...with some reservation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am in the middle of the mind-numbing process of researching a new laptop to purchase. I haven't owned an Apple since my parent's house was equiped with a few IIe's decades ago. My problem is this: I have had my fill of my old Toshiba notebook and a Dell notebook that weighs what seems to be 10 lbs. I love the design of the MB Pro, but many forums constantly talk of heat issues, whine or "mooing" issues, the fact that Office '04 for Mac slows the machine down. I know that forums are usually simply gripe-fests, but I am totally interested in the MBP. That being said, I am a writer who, unfortunately, is bound to MS Word for school, and I use a METRIC TON of music, create the occasional web site, and dabble in video, which I am becoming much more serious about. My heart really yearns for the 15.4 with 100 Gb HD @ 7200rmp w/ 1 Gb Ram, but is this machine, with all its admitted flaws worth purchasing? I am buying something in the next 2 weeks, but I want to know that I am going the right direction. Thanks for any and all advice and wisdom.

CMH

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    There have been some rumours that the 15.4" MBP (being 6 months old, and the first laptop Intel based rollout) is due for a rev around August.

Buzz has it possibly seeing some of its major rev A issues tweaked and a switch to Core 2 Duo processor (Merom) to help differentiate it from the MB.

If you can wait another few months, you may catch the next model.

That said, for what you describe, the MBP would probably suit you well.

While the MB has the same CPU, the GPU and extra screen real estate may matter in video.

If 90% of your time is Word and music, or iWeb, the MB should do you fine, and with the extra change, you could max the RAM and HD (yourself, not paying an Apple premium).

As always, if you need it now, buy it. If you can wait, you may see something better before September.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    I just got an MBP. I love it. Though I do not use M$ office much (though I do a little), I do use many non-universal applications (PS, etc.) and they work just fine. It can get hot, but really only when using rosetta applications. It will take getting used-to, I am sure, and updates for everything you use are in the works, but within a few weeks you will never think of going back.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cmhelmscmhelms Posts: 9member
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping to pull the trigger on something soon, but perhaps waiting will be smart. I did want to get acclimated to the new format before my school year starts, but I have time to do that. Wish me luck...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMHelms

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to pull the trigger on something soon, but perhaps waiting will be smart. I did want to get acclimated to the new format before my school year starts, but I have time to do that. Wish me luck...

I also just got a new MBP (this morning, in fact ). It's a bit hot on the bottom, but for me, not uncomfortably so. There's no whine, and the fans/hard drive are super quiet. So I'm guessing most of the issues have been fixed. At least I'm lucky

This is my first laptop, actually... the only things that are a pain for me are the huge keyboard buttons, the screen not folding back far enough, and the lack of a page up button.