Upgrade Powerbook G3 Lombard

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a G3 Lombard with 333 MHz processor and 192 MG memory. I would like to upgrade the processor & memory, anyone have any suggestions? This is my first MAC. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yowzer. In all honesty, save your money. I am typing this on a 400Mhz pismo, but for the money you will be throwing at it, it is worth getting a used mac mini instead.

I have a 333Mhz Beige G3 running 10.4.3 and that is sloooow. It was fun for a while but you have some pretty serious hardware limitations in that laptop mainly RAM, graphics card, and a biggie: Bus speed. 66 vs 100 makes a big difference with OS X. (The fact that you notice things that minute as bus speed makes you wonder how slow it is.)

Simple speed boosts:

Max the RAM

Faster hard drive

A half-decent CPU upgrade is not really worth the price in my opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Yeah. . . sell it on eBay and buy a new computer.

There's not a whole lot you can do to a Lombard that will make it useful with modern software. Consider for a second that your Lombard has a slower chip in it than what a lot of modern cell phones have.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Consider for a second that your Lombard has a slower chip in it than what a lot of modern cell phones have.

I would say after reading that my teeth were nashing but the truth is, it felt like a big stomp on the nut bag. Sometimes I wonder where the time went between now and when SJ was on stage announcing the G4 was going in the iMac G4 with everyone thinking that yeah, the G4 rules.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks Ebby, I figured it probably would not be worth putting money into it. I'm trying to get away from Microsoft and I bought this MAC on eBay, not realizing I should have bought a newer MAC. Thanks again for your reply.

Gretchen

Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Yowzer. In all honesty, save your money. I am typing this on a 400Mhz pismo, but for the money you will be throwing at it, it is worth getting a used mac mini instead.

I have a 333Mhz Beige G3 running 10.4.3 and that is sloooow. It was fun for a while but you have some pretty serious hardware limitations in that laptop mainly RAM, graphics card, and a biggie: Bus speed. 66 vs 100 makes a big difference with OS X. (The fact that you notice things that minute as bus speed makes you wonder how slow it is.)

Simple speed boosts:

Max the RAM

Faster hard drive

A half-decent CPU upgrade is not really worth the price in my opinion.