Final Cut to be Pumped Up

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So I'm told Discreet is going to be phasing out its Edit software. The company this information came from is now looking into getting a professional FCP workstation, even though the attitude towards FCP has been less than frendly. With Discreet having such troubles all around, they look like they might be getting rid of their lower-end products. With Apple buying up all competitors of discreets low-end products, perhaps FCP is maneuvering to take the low to mid market now occupied by discreet and avid. FCP is getting better all the time, but it seems like there is going to be a much pumped up version and some much stronger tools available soon. We'll see how all this pans out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    What does FCP need to attack this market and succeed. Better VTR support? More robust compositing features? I'm really curious as to how "ambitious" FCP 4.0 is going to be.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I remember a while ago I read some rumors on the net about the lay off of the entire combustion team.....this app is going to coffin soon.....but I am not too sure if this rumor is true or not.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Isn't discreet owned by AutoDesk? That would explain a lot. They eat companies just to apparently ruin them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gnurfgnurf Posts: 20member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>What does FCP need to attack this market and succeed. Better VTR support? More robust compositing features? I'm really curious as to how "ambitious" FCP 4.0 is going to be.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, the robust compositing feaures you get in the child of Shake and Rayz. Better VTR support and a builtin RS232/422 port on all PowerMacs would be nice. Other than that, it will be more realtime stuff, better support for HD now that the PowerMacs are up to it, integrated 24p/film editing with no additinal software, better EDL support and a customizable keyboard set up. And a better database engine for working on bigger/longer projects. That`ll take Avid and Discreet for a ride.

One note about the Combustion team. Most of them are now working for Apple in the Nothing Real/FCP/Rayz/FilmLogic team. Might be spun off eventually...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Apple's CineTools package supports film, HDTV, and 24fps editing. It's anotehr thousand dollar upgrade, which is really nothing when you look at how much that option is on an Avid. I doubt they're going to make that standard in FCP anytime soon. It makes good business sense to keep that as an option.

Still, if I could pick, and had the money, I'd buy an Avid. I just prefer the interface and the way it functions... it really takes FCP for a ride. Avid did ship XPress DV for OS X, so it'll be interesting to see how many people choose that over FCP for DV work. But still, the next step up with Avid is the XPress systems, which have a film option, but when compared to FCP, it ain't cheap. Then again, Avid builds their own video hardware for in/out, and that's one thing lacking in FCP...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Isn't discreet owned by AutoDesk? That would explain a lot. They eat companies just to apparently ruin them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Discreet is hardly ruined. They make the highest-end of the the high end of film effects tools and 3D Studio Max is, well 3D Studio Max. Most any film with any effects is done on Discreet products. They also own Cleaner and just came out with Plasma. They are hardly being ruined. Combustion hopefully won't be discontinued because it is really it far and beyond any other products near it's range. It only takes superficial use to see this.

My thought is that they might make more room for Final Cut by focusing on the ultra high-end, where they are immensely successful. If Final Cut adds some of the features, i.e. all values are entered into windows doubling as calculators, and makes the rendering engine a little more professional, it could easily take discreet's place.