UGS Announces Native Software Support for Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Note: I know I bumped up the original thread but since this is big news and the other threads title does not mention the update I decided to create a new thread if the Mods believe this one should be closed I have no problem with that or if they want to join the threads even better. Thanks

News:

Quote:

UGS Becomes First Product Lifecycle Management Supplier to Announce Native Software Support for Mac OS X

UGS Continues to Set the Standard For Openness, Adding Mac OS X to the PLM Industry?s Most Complete List of Supported Operating Systems; NX and Teamcenter Lead the Way

FOR RELEASE Wednesday, June 21, 2006

NEW YORK ? UGS Corp., a leading global provider of product lifecycle management (PLM) software and services, today announced plans to add native support for Mac OS X version 10.4 ?Tiger? to the list of supported environments for its NX? digital product development, and Teamcenter® digital lifecycle management software solutions. With existing support already established for Windows®, UNIX® and Linux? environments, UGS continues to set the standard for openness in PLM with the industry?s most complete list of supported operating system platforms.

UGS made the announcement today in conjunction with its annual industry analyst conference in New York.

?Consistent with UGS? open business model, we are proud to offer our products on Mac OS X in order to help even more companies transform their process of innovation,? said Chuck Grindstaff, UGS? executive vice president of Products. ?As the first major PLM supplier to offer its software products for Mac OS X, UGS can now give worldwide Mac users access to best-of-breed PLM solutions that take advantage of the excellent performance, security and stability of Apple?s innovative hardware and software.?

A limited edition version of NX is available today for PowerPC-based Macs under UGS? Early Adopter Program. Customers interested in more information about how to participate in this program and get an early look at NX on Mac OS X should contact their local UGS sales representative or call 1-800-498-5351. UGS plans to add support for Intel-based Macs as part of a future product release. UGS also plans to make Teamcenter Engineering Integration for NX available on Mac OS X in 2007.

About NX and Teamcenter

NX is UGS? next-generation digital product development system that helps companies transform the product lifecycle. With the industry?s broadest suite of integrated, fully associative CAD/CAM/CAE applications, NX? voted 2005 Product of the Year by the readers of NASA Tech Briefs ? touches the full range of development processes in product design, manufacturing and simulation.

UGS? Teamcenter software portfolio powers innovation and productivity by connecting people and processes with knowledge. Teamcenter?s comprehensive portfolio of proven digital lifecycle management solutions is built on an open PLM foundation. Teamcenter, winner of the INDUSTRYWEEK Technology of the Year Award for 2005, is the de facto standard for PLM deployments, and is backed by UGS? leadership in delivery.

About UGS

UGS is a leading global provider of product lifecycle management (PLM) software and services with nearly 4 million licensed seats and 46,000 customers worldwide. Headquartered in Plano, Texas, UGS? vision is to enable a world where organizations and their partners collaborate through global innovation networks to deliver world-class products and services while leveraging UGS? open enterprise solutions, fulfilling the mission of enabling them to transform their process of innovation.

This is great news, I really hope this announcement will help open the doors for other big companies to port there products to MacOS X.

I wonder in they will be at the WWDC? And I also wonder in what ways will Apple utilize this new resource? This looks like it can open many doors and perhaps we'll get a glimpse of them at WWDC?

Whats your take on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    cesrivascesrivas Posts: 10member
    great news for mechanical engineers who like macs.

hopefuly, more apps will come like ansys, proE, patran, nastran, fluent, maxwell
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I certainly expect Apple to demo and brag about NX at WWDC.

Who knows whether this means other companies will consider porting their apps. Alot of people have been wanting stuff like SolidWorks, but much of this stuff is tightly tied into windows APIs - especially with the growing move towards DirectX rather than OpenGL.

If UGS can port NX though, they can port Solid Edge too. That would be great - covering both the mid range and the high end