Absolutely brilliant use for MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
wow, i saw this dell in the examples (scroll down) and I thought my macbook would be waaaay better at this than the dell!

how thoughtful of steve foreman, i mean jobs.

http://neopoleon.com/blog/posts/21332.aspx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Although... this does go to show that heat in notebooks isn't limited to the MacBooks/Pros
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

Although... this does go to show that heat in notebooks isn't limited to the MacBooks/Pros

agreed. but the macbook IS a spectacular heat generation machine. Sometimes being the best isn't..what you want?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Given the fact that both Mac and PC notebooks have nearly identical internals, it follows logically that they all produce roughly the same amounts of heat.

The fact that the case of the MacBook is metal works both ways. That is, heat conducts quickly from the CPU onto the metal, but it also cools quickly. On PCs (like the one I'm typing on now) you get intense hot-spots.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

wow, i saw this dell in the examples (scroll down) and I thought my macbook would be waaaay better at this than the dell!

how thoughtful of steve foreman, i mean jobs.

http://neopoleon.com/blog/posts/21332.aspx

so THAT'S where the orange stains come from!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

so THAT'S where the orange stains come from!

• Reply 7 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well, looks as though these Dell notebooks are hot stuff at the moment.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9YNhs-RSs4

That's a better use. ;-)

My cat does that to my screen, chases the cursor all over the place. Now I feel less dumb knowning someone else does it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Given the fact that both Mac and PC notebooks have nearly identical internals, it follows logically that they all produce roughly the same amounts of heat.

The fact that the case of the MacBook is metal works both ways. That is, heat conducts quickly from the CPU onto the metal, but it also cools quickly. On PCs (like the one I'm typing on now) you get intense hot-spots.

Well, there's "produce" and "deal with".

If you don't mind additional fan noise it's possible to transport that heat away from the machine instead of using the case as a radiator.

Which, given Steve's obsession the quietest computing experience possible, is likely to be the source of at least some of the heat "problem".
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    well i dont know about you guys, but i listen to music whem im on my macbook, so the fan noise, (when it kicks in at 77 degrees C!!!), doesnt realy bother me