Mac OS versus Windows versus Linux

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
ok. here we go again...

What makes the Mac OS better than Windows?

What makes the Mac OS better than Linux?

What makes Linux better than Windows?

If some were to tell me, "Mac OS sucks. Windows is better." How could I emphatically say without a doubt that the Mac OS is better? Because, it's tough to reply when your blood pressure is going through the roof...

Mac OS is based in Unix right? and Unix is much more solid than Windows. so WHY doesn't logic follow? According to PC people...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

How could I emphatically say without a doubt that the Mac OS is better?

You wouldn't. It isn't.

1) Use the right tool for the right job. Often, that's Mac OS X. Often too, that's Windows. Sometimes, that's Linux.

2) Allow your taste and preference to play a role. Yours. Not anyone else's. Give all a try and then create an informed personal opinion.

3) Don't try to convert others. This isn't a religion, it's an operating system.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    as the anger subsides your suggestion is right...thanks...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Mac OS X is better for graphics and stuff, while Windows XP is better for spreadsheets and business stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Mac OS X is better for graphics and stuff, while Windows XP is better for spreadsheets and business stuff.

Exactly what is it about Excel:win that makes it better than Excel:mac?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I dont buy that..

There are businesses out there that are Mac exclusive.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

ok. here we go again...

If some were to tell me, "Mac OS sucks. Windows is better." How could I emphatically say without a doubt that the Mac OS is better? Because, it's tough to reply when your blood pressure is going through the roof..

If they start off with "Mac OS sucks. Windows is better." then it's no use arguing. If you want to influence a person like that, you have to do it by example. Just say "Sure, Windows is very nice." and continue using your Mac OS. After a while, if they don't really know anything about Mac OS, they'll get curious, and finally start asking you serious questions. Then just answer them, show them the cool stuff the Mac can do.

Do not argue even if he's got all the facts wrong. Once his attitude is softened somewhat, you can correct factual mistakes matter-of-factly, but even then you can't push and you can't argue.

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

Basically, as long as your blood boils, don't say anything.

When I'm being asked for a recommendation for an OS, I ask if they play games. If they don't, or if they only want to play some games and do not especially want the newest FPS titles, I recommend Mac OS. Otherwise I recommend Windows. Linux is nice but if IMO if you have to ask for recommendations, then it's probably not for you. If a person specifically asks about Linux then I tend to recommend that they check hardware compatibility with a live CD, then install Linux in dual boot config with Windows.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Your questions are on a false premis: these are three differant tools, you should not use only one carte blanche, likewise you shouldnt rule one out cart blanche.

If you are in a corprate enviornment with firewalls and IT guys, Windows isnt all that bad: people know how to use it, and contrary to popular beleife around here, when set up properly on a network with proper servers and the like, it is acctually seemless and "just works"

OSX is great for personal use and creative workflows, it supports top of the line commercial software, all common file formats, is easy to use, is virus/crapware free (subject to change without notice), and just works.

Linux is great for servers, integrated devices (think tivo, point of sales terminals, routers...), and desktops for a dedicatd use (think an internet cafe' terminal or a card catalog lookup device at a library) or home/personal use computers for minimal use like web, mail, and the like...great for old computer re-use.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Exactly what is it about Excel:win that makes it better than Excel:mac?

Its integration with many Microsoft services and products not available on OS X? Its integration with third-party Windows-only apps and services not available on OS X? Its guaranteed existence on the platform as opposed to the lets-sit-down-every-5-years-and-negotiate-this-life-support-needing apps existence on OS X?