LaCie External Firewire Not Showing Anymore

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I have had a LaCie External Firewire 250GB for some time now and it worked great right out of the box with my Powerbook G4 and my Windows-based desktop. However, a few weeks ago, I plugged it into my powerbook, it popped up on the desktop, and then i unplugged the firewire cable accidentally, and it gave me the unsafe removal message, and ever since, my powerbook has been unable to show the external drive anywhere. when i try looking at it in disk utility it just sits there 'gathering information' for a very long time. however, the lacie still works like a charm on my windows-based machine. so i am very confused.. is there anything i can do other than reformat it? and if i have no choice, how do i format it so that it can be read by both OS?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

Hello,

I have had a LaCie External Firewire 250GB for some time now and it worked great right out of the box with my Powerbook G4 and my Windows-based desktop. However, a few weeks ago, I plugged it into my powerbook, it popped up on the desktop, and then i unplugged the firewire cable accidentally, and it gave me the unsafe removal message, and ever since, my powerbook has been unable to show the external drive anywhere. when i try looking at it in disk utility it just sits there 'gathering information' for a very long time. however, the lacie still works like a charm on my windows-based machine. so i am very confused.. is there anything i can do other than reformat it? and if i have no choice, how do i format it so that it can be read by both OS?

Thanks

If windows can read it, MacOS should be able to. Try and wait out the disk utility, then verify/repair. Also check that apple system profiler can see the drive in the firewire section. If it does require reformat, use your windows box, and right-click>format on the drive. Should be fine with defaults.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I have had the same problem, albeit not by accidentally unplugging but basically icon not showing on the desktop and not found by Disk Utility. But this helped for me, and may help you:

Open Disk Utility

Click First Aid tab

Click 'Repair Disk Permissions' (Don't bother with verifying first)

When finished, shut down AND unplug your mac from mains power

Unplug all peripherals from your mac

Wait 15 minutes

Then connect everything again and boot up. It worked for me.

Good luck!