reformat/networking

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
2 general questions:

1- i reformat my windows machine frequently for obvious reasons. im aware that when os x apps install, they optimize your HD at the end of the process.. does that, and the os x file system negate the need for reformating? will my system be any faster than it is now?

2- i tried setting up a wireless network between my powerbook and my windows desktop with airport (my windows machine has a netgear wireless usb adapter), however, when i connected my windows machine to the network i created on my powerbook, my windows machine couldnt find my mac. any idea how to do that so i can transfer files?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

2 general questions:

1- i reformat my windows machine frequently for obvious reasons. im aware that when os x apps install, they optimize your HD at the end of the process.. does that, and the os x file system negate the need for reformating? will my system be any faster than it is now?

2- i tried setting up a wireless network between my powerbook and my windows desktop with airport (my windows machine has a netgear wireless usb adapter), however, when i connected my windows machine to the network i created on my powerbook, my windows machine couldnt find my mac. any idea how to do that so i can transfer files?

1. Windows: Defragment your drives rather than reformatting. It's easier. MacOS this is unnecessary.

2. View wireless networks. hit change advanced settings. Hit add..., Choose WEP authentication. Uncheck 'the key is provided for me automatically'. Key in your wep password (network key). Make sure you have window sharing active on your mac in the sharing control panel.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    2. It also helps if both your machines are in the same workgroup.