I got lucky.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I bought a Macbook about a week or so after they came out. This was my first Mac Notebook so all I cared about was OS X. I heard the "Mooing" and it was really hot, but I didn't care. As long as it worked, I was cool. I'd also read that Apple wasn't gonna replace your MB simply because it "Mooed".

So, yesterday, the Superdrive in my White 2.0 Macbook decides that it's not going to take any discs. It didnt "suck them" in anymore. It stopped making any sort of noise. I guess it died.

Here's were I got lucky: The Mac Genius at the Apple Store tried to put a CD in, it didn't work, and I ended up getting a new Macbook. I went in there thinking they would just stick another Superdrive in it or something, but they just gave me a brand new MB!

The lucky part is: There's no "Mooing". None whatsoever. It still gets hot but dead silent. My first MB "Mooed" since day one. I was ready to live with it because I thought all the MBs did it. I was wrong.

I'm lucky that my drive died, or else I never would have experienced the greatness that a truly silent notebook can bring. It's friggin' sweet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Did you name yourself "bookmac" cause you really love your MacBook so much?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bookmacbookmac Posts: 15member
    Yes. It's a great machine (which is why I was willing to put up with the heat and the "Moos"). Now it's even better (or at least it's what it should be).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I got one too... it's okay.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    You don't sound too happy.

"Mooing" got you down? Or is it the skin-frying heat? Let's not forget the groovy discoloration!

I like it. I use it for Final Cut Studio and Logic Pro and it is everything I need.8)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bookmac

I like it. I use it for Final Cut Studio and Logic Pro and it is everything I need.8)

FCS on a cheap notebook: how far we have come in the last year...now a $1300 NOTEBOOK can keep up or in some cases beat last years $2000 DESKTOP...wowza
  • Reply 6 of 10
    That's PRECISELY why I snapped up a MB!

It goes toe to toe with the dual PM G5s (2.3) we have at school. I was gonna get a Powermac G5 before they were announced because I loved those machines so. Now that I have all that power in a (relatively) light and mobile package, I'm in heaven. $1300 is a steal for what you get (if you use it effectively).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bookmac

That's PRECISELY why I snapped up a MB!

It goes toe to toe with the dual PM G5s (2.3) we have at school. I was gonna get a Powermac G5 before they were announced because I loved those machines so. Now that I have all that power in a (relatively) light and mobile package, I'm in heaven. $1300 is a steal for what you get (if you use it effectively).

$1300 for a Macbook+$299 for Final Cut Express and DV Cams being under $500 now (cheaper if you go 2nd hand), just add a decent mic and you have an end-to-end video podcasting setup for about $2000, go back even 2 years and think about that possibility!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I don't care at all about speed, and I have a large enough budget to be able to afford any of the apple notebooks - but heat and noise really bother me. Should I go with the slowest Macbook? Is there a noticable heat/noise difference between the various apple notebooks?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    got milk?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Got Cheese.