Dead G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys, Im having problems with my digital audio G4 Powermac.

We have a dodgy circuit breaker in our house which keeps breaking. (Runs pretty much all of the outlets)

Last night after the circuit breaker broke again I tried to turn my computer on but nothing is happening

The little light behind the power button lights up when I press it (Like usual). When I lift my finger off the button, the light fades and nothing happens.

I think the computer was asleep when the power cut.

It also has had a CPU upgrade from the 400Mhz to (I think) an 867Mhz, which was done by the previous owner.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Reset the CUDA switch.

Open up the machine with the power off of course, and find the tiny silver button that is on the motherboard near the battery. Press it ONCE with the tip of a ballpoint pen or similar, and then close the machine up and try again.

If that fails, take out the battery for 30 minutes, put it back in , and try again.

If that fails, try holding down command-option-O-F after you hit the power switch, and if you get a command prompt, type

reset-nvram

reset-all
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bigt[nz]bigt[nz] Posts: 16member
    I could kiss you.

The little button on the motherboard worked a treat.

What is that button by the way?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    It just resets the PRAM on your motherboard. This holds all the addresses of your cards and other important information.