Networking question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys, I'm hoping that you might be able to help me?

I have two Macs set up in a (very) basic network. I have a Quad and an iMac which are connected together via an ethernet crossover cable. This arrangement works a treat as both machines can achieve 1000Mbps.

However, both machines connect to the internet via AirPort. The Quad is connected directly to the AirPort Extreme base station via ethernet, and the iMac has a built in AE card. Again, this arrangement works a treat, and my laptop can connect using its AE card as well.

The problem however, is that whenever I'm on the iMac and I want to connect to the Quad (or vice versa) the two machine talk to each other over AirPort rather than ethernet. This is a pain whenever you want to send huge files back and forth, because the connection is limited to 54Mbps.

Is there anyway of forcing the two machines to connect to each other via ethernet but retain AirPort functionality at the same time? I've been in to the Network control panel and rearranged the order of the network ports but this hasn't made a blind bit of difference!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Why not have the iMAc connect to the internet through the Quad?

In order to answer your original question, it's important to know which software/ protocols you're using for Quad/ iMac communication and how the addressing is handled on your network.