iPod and MBP not getting along

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a 60 gig that is has only been used on a PC thus far. After purchasing my new MB Pro, I cannot get my iPod to update without formatting it and losing months worth of music, video, photos, etc. iTunes is also having a difficult time simply recognizing the iPod, doing so only one time out of ten or so. I also have a new Nano that will hopefully be used on my Mac and PC. Any suggestions? Thanks. CMH

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ashnazgashnazg Posts: 6member
    Dude, I think you can only use an iPod on one computer at one time. I tried to hook my iPod up to a friends iTunes when I first got it and it didn't even see it. I think there might be some sort of a hack out there to fix that, though...?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nope i have about 5 diffrent computers. and i use mine on all of them.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ashnazgashnazg Posts: 6member
    oh... well in that case... I have no idea. lol
  • Reply 4 of 4
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    I think it's something to do with automatically updating songs on your iPod. If you have this setting turned on in iTunes (iPod Preferences), it will erase your iPod automagically. If the option is turned off, it lets you play music from the iPod. You can't, however, copy music into your iTunes library from the iPod without third party help.

Ironically in this situation though, you must have your iPod plugged in to disable this setting. Plug the iPod into the PC with all of your music on it, uncheck the setting to automatically update songs (Go to Preferences>iPod) and then you should be able to use it once you plug it into your MBP (I say should, don't hold it against me if it doesn't!!!).

Hope this helps.