MacBook Pro with more Ram

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Like many of you i'm waiting for apple to realese th "Merom" MBP for updating my PowerBook.

This new processor is 64bit and I hear all over that one of the advantage is that you can adresse more the 4G ram

I honestly would be very happy just to get 4G!!!..... my question are :why we still have the restriction of 2G,when are we going to be able to add 3 or 4G?

Thanks to all

Ettore

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Whenever the appropriate 2 GB SODIMMs (256 Mb x 64) are available. I think they actually are, as of very recently, but are still insanely expensive compared to 1 GB SODIMMs (>10x!). With two of these, I think the MBP CoreDuo would reach its theoretical addressing limit. Who knows how long it will be until the prices become reasonable.

I wouldn't wait on this account before upgrading from a PBG4. RAM prices and availability is what limits you from going to 4 GB, and I imagine there will be a similar delay from 4 GB -> 8 GB, as we wait for 512 Mb x 64 SODIMMs. (Unless Apple puts four slots in a new MBP.) In the meantime, the MBP runs rings around the PGB4.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    antianti Posts: 4member
    isn't it Intels Napa chipset that limits us to 2GB?

and since the version of merom shipping in august will still be based on that chipset, we won't see any increase on the memory limit till the next chipset generation (called "santa rosa" or something...) planed in january

correct me if I'm wrong