Need Mac software to make a will, help please

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay - I've decided to make a will and am going the software route. I consulted a lawyer but he wanted $700-800 for a basic will, which is too much. My situation is very simple - wife, no kids, one house, no trusts.

Can anyone recommend a good Mac-compatible will making program? I looked at Quicken Lawyer and Quicken Willmaker but neither is Mac-compatible.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I remember seeing a will writing program at an Apple Store. I don't remember what it was called though. If you have an Apple Store in your area, you should stop by and check it out. I don't think it runs natively in X though.

Cheers!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I am fairly certain that you can't just print out a will and have it be legal. I think you have to have it notorized or something. That way when it comes time for the will to be necessary, no one can claim that I printed the will so that I would get all of your stuff. (I am going to be in your will, right?)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I am fairly certain that you can't just print out a will and have it be legal. I think you have to have it notorized or something. That way when it comes time for the will to be necessary, no one can claim that I printed the will so that I would get all of your stuff. (I am going to be in your will, right?) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Stroszek,

I ended up going with Quicken Lawyer 2002 Wills for the PC, since I couldn't find any OS X software, and I'm not going back to OS 9. Plus I like Quicken's TurboTax for the Web.

Anyway, to get to your point, you need to have at least 2 witnesses sign-off on your will (not beneficiaries), and preferably 3. This is all done as a group and with the understanding that this is your will. You also have the option to have a notary public sign a self-proving affidavit, which doesn't make your will any more legal, but can speed things up during probate.

For simple cases like me - wife, few assets, no kids - software is fine. Anything complicated, like leaving a trust with six kids by three women requires a lawyer. I checked with a lawyer and a basic will (nicknamed an 'I love you' will) costs $700-800. That's too much money.

I once served as a witness for a friend's will. She's a lesbian with a partner and a daughter. Now that requries a lawyer.

p.s. I hereby leave to Stroszek my AI handle of 'Gobble Gobble.' See, I remembered you!

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: gobble gobble ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>p.s. I hereby leave to Stroszek my AI handle of 'Gobble Gobble.' See, I remembered you! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Awww, shucks, It's just what I've always wanted! You're the best!