Keyboard Shortcut Changes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi, I want to make a small keyboard shortcut change in safari. I want to be able to swtich through my tabs a little easier. Is it possible for me to make ctrl-tab or ctrl~ to swtich between tabs (like how firefox is on my old PC). I tried going into system preferences, but can't really find how to change this. Any help?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Look in your System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. You can set keystrokes on a per-app basis there.

Unfortunately, the two examples you gave are keystrokes that are used *system* wide to switch between applications (Cmd-Tab) and windows within an app (Cmd-`).

If you pick another one, you can do what you want.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    blascockblascock Posts: 153member
    I tried went to the system prefrences, and created one. Im trying to set it to control-tab or control-~, but it doesn't work. I dont even understand how I do it, it just asks for the description and the shortcut keys, but where do I tell it exactly what I want it to do?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Critical Mac Lesson #17 for Switchers....

HELP IS ACTUALLY HELPFUL!!!

Seriously. Open up System Preferences. See the Help menu? Select Help -> System Preferences.

Top right of the window that opens, you'll seen an oblong box with a little magnifying glass in it. If you see this *anywhere* on the Mac, it's a search field. Type 'keyboard shortcuts' and press Return.

Voila. Start reading. It will walk you through it better than I can.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Kickaha tells you true.

The one point that isn't instantly obvious is that when you are told to "select" the character associated with an action in the keyboard shortcut lists, it may appear to be already highlighted, since clicking on the line will highlight the whole line.

Just double click on the character itself and you can then enter anything you want.