Recommended reading

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I recently finished The Long Emergency by James Kunstler. In short, it's about the end of oil and the inevitable effect on our economy/society. Really fascinating.

I'm trying to read less beach fiction and moe biographies and other nonfiction. Unfortunately, I spend much of my day reading boring documents, so nonnfiction has to be pretty interesting to hold my interest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gdconway

I recently finished The Long Emergency by James Kunstler. In short, it's about the end of oil and the inevitable effect on our economy/society. Really fascinating.

I'm trying to read less beach fiction and moe biographies and other nonfiction. Unfortunately, I spend much of my day reading boring documents, so nonnfiction has to be pretty interesting to hold my interest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Very interesting. Here's a link to Amazon . If you have read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, and liked that, then you will like this too. I enjoyed both very much.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Something in the same vein as "Fast Food Nation" (and by the same author) - "Chew On This".

Read it recently. Very interesting and a quick read.

Link.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Something in the same vein as "Fast Food Nation" (and by the same author) - "Chew On This".

Read it recently. Very interesting and a quick read.

Link.

It sounds like a condensed version of "Fast Food Nation". I'll probably pick it up sometime this summer. Right now I'm reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" and after that I'll be reading "Catch-22".
  • Reply 4 of 29
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

Oh my. I read that when I was about 13, and still can't look at ground beef the same way.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Chip Ward, Canaries on the Rim

Anything by John Krakauer. Under the Banner of Heaven is good, as are Into Thin Air and Into the Wild.

I like Nicholson Baker's essays.

Go buy EVERYTHING by EB White that's not Charlotte's Web. He was an amazing writer.

Richard Clark's book will scare the pants off you.

You might consider getting a copy of the Common Reader catalog and looking through their recommendations.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

In that same veign, revisit George Orwells "1984" for a look at the 2.5 remaining years of the Bush reign and maybe beond
  • Reply 7 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Count of Monte Cristo is quite an archetypal work. I want to read The Jungle and Catch 22.

However, the most profound, and I MEAN it, piece of writing, is The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. I challenge anyone to find a more profound piece of work. Especially in like two pages (yes that's right, so everyone click that and read it and share your thoughts.) It makes me all reflective on the second law of thermodynamics and stuff...deep stuff. What will happen, in the end? Will there be an end? Was there a beginning? Make your mind explode, read it here:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/%7Emlindsey/asimov/question.htm
  • Reply 8 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Chip Ward, Canaries on the Rim

Anything by John Krakauer. Under the Banner of Heaven is good, as are Into Thin Air and Into the Wild.

I like Nicholson Baker's essays.

Go buy EVERYTHING by EB White that's not Charlotte's Web. He was an amazing writer.

You might consider getting a copy of the Common Reader catalog and looking through their recommendations.

Did you see that article in the Times a few weeks ago about "the best American Novel?" Here it is.

THE WINNER:

Beloved

Toni Morrison

(1987)

Review

THE RUNNERS-UP:

Underworld

Don DeLillo

(1997)

Review

Blood Meridian

Cormac McCarthy

(1985)

Review

Rabbit Angstrom: The Four Novels

John Updike

(1995)

Review: 'Rabbit at Rest'

(1990)

Review: 'Rabbit Is Rich'

(1981)

Review: 'Rabbit Redux'

(1971)

Review: 'Rabbit, Run'

(1960)

American Pastoral

Philip Roth

(1997)

Review

THE FOLLOWING BOOKS ALSO RECEIVED MULTIPLE VOTES:

A Confederacy of Dunces

John Kennedy Toole

(1980)

Review

Housekeeping

Marilynne Robinson

(1980)

Review

Winter's Tale

Mark Helprin

(1983)

Review

White Noise

Don DeLillo

(1985)

Review

The Counterlife

Philip Roth

(1986)

Review

Libra

Don DeLillo

(1988)

Review

Where I'm Calling From

Raymond Carver

(1988)

Review

The Things They Carried

Tim O'Brien

(1990)

Review

Mating

Norman Rush

(1991)

Review

Jesus' Son

Denis Johnson

(1992)

Review

Operation Shylock

Philip Roth

(1993)

Review

Independence Day

Richard Ford

(1995)

Review

Sabbath's Theater

Philip Roth

(1995)

Review

Border Trilogy

Cormac McCarthy

(1999)

Review: 'Cities of the Plain'

(1998)

Review: 'The Crossing'

(1994)

Review: 'All the Pretty Horses'

(1992)

The Human Stain

Philip Roth

(2000)

Review

The Known World

Edward P. Jones

(2003)

Review

The Plot Against America

Philip Roth

(2004)

Review
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Did you see that article in the Times a few weeks ago about "the best American Novel?" Here it is.

Yeah. I *believe* it was the Best novel since 1980, wasn't it?

Morrison deserves to be at the top of that list, but I think it's interesting that it's basically the same names: Morrison, Roth, DeLillo (White Noise as a runner-up? Are you kidding me?!), McCarthy, Updike.

I think it suggests not how strong these writers are, but how generally weak the American field has been for 25 years. If they'd done this list for British novelists since 1980, the fights would have been huge, I believe.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    - The Fate of the Earth by J Schell
  • Reply 11 of 29
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    Team of Rivals (The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln) by Doris Kearns Goodwin
  • Reply 12 of 29
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey.

Seriously, read it. It's so quick and easy... and really is a must read.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Yeah. I *believe* it was the Best novel since 1980, wasn't it?

Morrison deserves to be at the top of that list, but I think it's interesting that it's basically the same names: Morrison, Roth, DeLillo (White Noise as a runner-up? Are you kidding me?!), McCarthy, Updike.

I think it suggests not how strong these writers are, but how generally weak the American field has been for 25 years. If they'd done this list for British novelists since 1980, the fights would have been huge, I believe.

You don't like DeLillo? In high school, a friend of mine's dad, an English prof (Tom LeClair), was a buddy and advocate of DeLillo's, so I was reading those when they were coming out in the mid-1980s. I haven't read Beloved. I make it a point not to read anything Oprah has recommended.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You don't like DeLillo? In high school, a friend of mine's dad, an English prof (Tom LeClair), was a buddy and advocate of DeLillo's, so I was reading those when they were coming out in the mid-1980s. I haven't read Beloved. I make it a point not to read anything Oprah has recommended.

Oh no. I enjoyed White Noise a great deal, although my experience was colored just a bit because I read it back to back with Jose Saramago's Blindness which is the most goddamned disturbing thing I've read in a long, long time.

My point was that, of DeLillo's ouvre, White Noise doesn't rank, for me, with the other stuff.

And don't get me wrong. I'm by NO stretch of the imagination an expert of any kind on American novels post-1950 or so. But my sense is that they're mostly kind of hollow inside (with the exception of Morrison). This is, no doubt, an effect of pomo sensibilities. How much of Pynchon's Vineland must one read before throwing up hands and saying "I GET IT!"? It's a real problem for me as a reader of late 20th and 21st century novels...while I'm on the pomo train, I don't particularly like to talk about it, and the art that it creates is, for me, too ironic, too self-aware, too hipper-than-thou. And if it's not, it's so angst-y that I might as well be reading Goethe.

Maybe that's why I like David Foster Wallace so much.

But again, I just don't see anyone other than Morrison (with the exception, perhaps, of McCarthy) really walking with the swagger of Faulkner or Wright or Welty or Fitzgerald or any of that generation.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Oh no. I enjoyed White Noise a great deal, although my experience was colored just a bit because I read it back to back with Jose Saramago's Blindness which is the most goddamned disturbing thing I've read in a long, long time.

My point was that, of DeLillo's ouvre, White Noise doesn't rank, for me, with the other stuff.

And don't get me wrong. I'm by NO stretch of the imagination an expert of any kind on American novels post-1950 or so. But my sense is that they're mostly kind of hollow inside (with the exception of Morrison). This is, no doubt, an effect of pomo sensibilities. How much of Pynchon's Vineland must one read before throwing up hands and saying "I GET IT!"? It's a real problem for me as a reader of late 20th and 21st century novels...while I'm on the pomo train, I don't particularly like to talk about it, and the art that it creates is, for me, too ironic, too self-aware, too hipper-than-thou. And if it's not, it's so angst-y that I might as well be reading Goethe.

Maybe that's why I like David Foster Wallace so much.

But again, I just don't see anyone other than Morrison (with the exception, perhaps, of McCarthy) really walking with the swagger of Faulkner or Wright or Welty or Fitzgerald or any of that generation.

You know, I kind of like Vineland, but it made me wonder how much of the sense of, well, gravity around Gravity's Rainbow derived from encyclopedic ruminations within a corpus of information most people aren't very familiar with. Like Vineland is the same trick but because I know the milieu it feels sort of, I dunno, daylight to Gravity's Rainbow's labyrinth shadowland, and less important for that. I would no more tackle Mason & Dixon than I would eat tacks.

Also, I seem to do better with Wallace's essays than the novels. I'm not sure what it is, I can't seem to get through Infinite Jest to save my life, and while I found The Broom of the System to be an easier read, I never felt terribly drawn in (carefully calibrated alienating effects I suppose being sort of part of the deal). I mean, I really want to like them cause I totally dig his whole authorial persona and declared intent, and I actually do love them, page for page, but the whole carrying forward part eludes me.

On the other hand, the title essay from A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again is straight up the funniest thing I have ever read in my life, and the piece on TV and US fiction is really terrific.

I like George Saunders a ton right now. A little like Barthelme but it feels like there's more at stake, and bitterer.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Unholy Alliance by Takis Michas.

A very interesting read on nationalism, xenophobia, political schizophrenia, business anarchy, and educational disaster in Greece during the 90's (and continuing today). Perhaps not everybody's cup of tea as it deals with pretty 'foreign' issues (if there are such issues in today's socio-economic climate), but nonetheless instructive of how governments (and people) use nationalist/religious ideology to justify their own pitfalls and shortcomings.

It's also a very intellectual book, dealing not only with Greek nationalism, but with other, philosophical questions concerning society in general.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Oh, and a little pot-boilerish, but I'm enjoying The Devil in the White City for it's vivid evocation of the swirling hell-hole that was Chicago at the turn of the century.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

You know, I kind of like Vineland, but it made me wonder how much of the sense of, well, gravity around Gravity's Rainbow derived from encyclopedic ruminations within a corpus of information most people aren't very familiar with.

Well, that's the ultimate gag of weak pomo lit, isn't it? It's an inside joke that only a select few are privy to.

As an aside: a friend of mine (who is the fiction writer at one of the schools in NC) spent a couple of years poring over Finnegan's Wake, decoding the jokes and inside information with all the enthusiasm of a Star Wars vs Stare Trek nerd or a "Jesus Nerd" pouring over the Bible, and concluded, ultimately, that it was a failure.

I just have little truck with the various iterations of "there is no center," "look at the ninja attack squad in the middle of this novel for no apparent reason," "HAHAHA I'M BRINGING IN POP CULTURE TO DECONSTRUCT ART!" or "I'm gonna be weird, you know, just to be fucking WEIRD."

With that said, I thought that If on a winter's night a traveler was a hoot. Playful in all the right ways.

Quote:

Also, I seem to do better with Wallace's essays than the novels. I'm not sure what it is, I can't seem to get through Infinite Jest to save my life, and while I found to be The Broom of the System an easier read I never felt terribly drawn in (carefully calibrated alienating effects I suppose being sort of part of the deal). I mean, I really want to like them cause I totally dig his whole authorial persona and declared intent, but.....

Well, frankly, I like his shorter stuff, too. Although I REALLY dig the footnotes in _IJ_.

Quote:

On the other hand, the title essay from A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again is straight up the funniest thing I have ever read in my life, and the piece on TV and US fiction is really terrific.

Have you read Brief Interviews with Hideous Men? The one about the guy with the flipper arm? And vasoline he lubes it up with? RIOT. What I'd give to hang out at Pomona during a dept. meeting!
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Oddly enough, I am even now doing a really horrible job of trying to distill Wallace's Everything and More in a thread (huh, the thread immediately below this one at the moment) about why decimal quantities can go on forever but things in the world collide.

E & M is a little discussion on the vexed history of the concept of infinity, which apparently has haunted a great deal of the evolution of math, and, big surprise, Wallace is a major math nerd who breaks out the pages of dense calculations like it was an aside about tennis.

Now, the interesting thing here is that he gets to bring his "hold many things in mind at once" discursiveness-- lengthy footnotes, mid-paragraph interpolations, and emergency glossaries and all-- to a topic that is nothing but rigor.

The results, while often way over my head, are surprisingly funny, entertaining and metaphysically provocative (just wish I had more math).
  • Reply 20 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Black Like Me and Lucifer's Hammer were good...

I haven't heard of any of those books on that big list. They sound like the typical coffee table books by the titles. You know, the ones that are really thick, in a way that reminds me of Tom Clancy books.