dual layer superdrive in 15" MBP by 1st Q 2007?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
considering upgrading at that time and was wondering if it is likely there will be a small enough dual layer drive to be in it as standard by that time.

also, what other updates could be expected by then? small ugrade soon and more major upgrade early in the new year?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

considering upgrading at that time and was wondering if it is likely there will be a small enough dual layer drive to be in it as standard by that time.

also, what other updates could be expected by then? small ugrade soon and more major upgrade early in the new year?

thanks!

Well the drives exist, but I'm not sure who supplies the drives for Apples laptops, or if their supplier for laptops is always the same. I know Apple uses Pioneer for the PowerMac, and they make the Pioneer DVR-K06 which is a slim line Dual layer burner for laptops, but I think it's anybody's guess. I think chances are that they would stick with their usual laptop suppliers line, but if they didn't they would go with a supplier that made a reliable laptop product.

I think a laptop user could probably better answer your question. But I would think that Apple does want to get a DL burner into their Pro laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i would hope they do!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dansgildansgil Posts: 62member
    I heard the reason Apple isn't using them is now is because there isn't an ultra-slimline drive that will fit in the 15". The 17" MBP has more room and allows for a thicker drive. Hopefully, by September the MBP is updated with a DL Superdrive, as I need to buy one for school.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Size and weight

15-inch MacBook Pro

Height: 1.0 inch (2.59 cm)

Width: 14.1 inches (35.7 cm)

Depth: 9.6 inches (24.3 cm)

Weight: 5.6 pounds (2.54 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (4)

17-inch MacBook Pro

Width: 15.4 inches (39.2 cm)

Depth: 10.4 inches (26.5 cm)

Weight: 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (4)

They're the same thickness, so why no dual layer drive?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dansgildansgil Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mariofreak85

Apparently, because the 15" has a smaller footprint, some of the internal components have to be stacked, for instance, the Superdrive. In order to keep the casing as thin as it is, Apple had to use an ultra-slimline Superdrive. This wasn't a problem with the 17" MBP.

However, the MBP was released almost 6 months ago. I'm sure there must be a thin enough DL Superdrive by now.

Hopefully, Apple will put one in soon. I need a DL Superdrive, but the 17" is too big for me.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mariofreak85

Size and weight

15-inch MacBook Pro

Width: 14.1 inches (35.7 cm)

Depth: 9.6 inches (24.3 cm)

Weight: 5.6 pounds (2.54 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (4)

17-inch MacBook Pro

Width: 15.4 inches (39.2 cm)

Depth: 10.4 inches (26.5 cm)

Weight: 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed (4)

Didn't you already answered your own question?

Size isn't just thickness.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Size isn't just thickness.

• Reply 8 of 9
    On the 15" part of the drive needs to fit under the keyboard which sits down in the case. On the 17 inch the drive fits entriely under the palm rest area so they can fit a thicker drive in the 17 inch with no probelms.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo