Porting VB .NET to Cocoa

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have to use a VB .Net program at work and have recently started using a mac. I want to get rid of my current desktop but can't because of this one program. The front end of the database is written in VB .Net. I have read some about how it is easy to port this to Cocoa but am having a hard time finding documentation on it. I have the source code for the program. Any help would be appriciated and I will give any infomration you might find useful to help me out.

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badllama

I have read some about how it is easy to port this to Cocoa

Not at all. .NET and Cocoa are both very extensive, nice frameworks, but not compatible in the least. Furthermore, Cocoa has no VB-like language you could write in.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I thought there was aopen project ot port VB to Coccoa? Or was that C#?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    There's Cocoa#, with which you can access .NET objects from within Objective-C.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

There's Cocoa#, with which you can access .NET objects from within Objective-C.

Ah, yeah. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    In terms of Basic, though, there isn't much. REALbasic isn't really all that object-oriented, and comes with a rather weak (though heavily extensible) framework.

I wouldn't mind an easy-to-use Cocoa language. (I don't think AppleScript Studio and the JavaScript Cocoa bridge really apply. )
  • Reply 6 of 14
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Why not Objective-C?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    badllamabadllama Posts: 11member
    hmmm, seems i might just have to write a new front end for this database for us Mac people to use....any suggestions on what enviroment to write it in? Like I said, I am new to macs.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Mono which is an open source implementation of .net, is free, and runs (and is developed mostly) on Macs.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Mono is alright, but it has some major limitations. The Portable dot-GNU project has more promise.

Of course, I'd rather see .NET die a miserable death than it be ported anywhere. Java is bad enough.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    badllamabadllama Posts: 11member
    I'd like to see .net die as well, but the guy who made these proggies 4 years ago dosnt think that way
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by badllama

I have to use a VB .Net program at work and have recently started using a mac. I want to get rid of my current desktop but can't because of this one program.

If you have a recent Mac (i.e Intel) you can get parallels and do your .Net development by running Windows under OS X. It would be tricky to port Microsoft frameworks anywhere. I'm pretty sure that's how they maintain a firm hold of the market - it's just because people feel they have to use their products and if they can't use them elsewhere then they are forced to buy Windows.

The key point is that people need to change the perception that they need to use a certain piece of software just because most other people do. You should use what gets the job done.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Not at all. .NET and Cocoa are both very extensive, nice frameworks, but not compatible in the least. Furthermore, Cocoa has no VB-like language you could write in.

The best way is to re-write and should not take more time as you are planning to change just the GUI part - should be eay by converting either to Java or some similar freeware which is multiplatform and open source may be. we @ S7 are experts in such migration and have done many such migrations. If you are interested do contact us.

Best Regards

Manju
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Wow, you must be really desperate for clients.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    No Not really; But can't shy away from not helping people in the migration space either. We generally help lot of our clients to migrate thier applications from Unix/Windows/Linux onto Mac OS X.

Regards

Manju