12" iBook vs. 13.3" MacBook: Battery Size

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was back in the Apple store on 5th Ave. in NYC today. Yes, I want to rub it in all I can. Before I get started, the keyboards on those things rocks. I wish I could replace my 12" iBook keyboard with the MB version. I think I still like my MBP keyboard best of all but the MB is flat out awesome.

I was looking at the battery size and notice that holy cow! The MacBook batter appeard at least 66% larger than my iBooks. What the heck is up with this? When I unplugged it and turned the brightness down until it was one click from being dark, the time left was 4 hours and 22 minutes. Ugh. Are the battery lifes on those not as good as the 12" iBooks?

Too bad they don't have CPU performance settings or does Intel do that automagically (conserve power)? I would turn my down to 500 MHz if I thought it would last sufficiently longer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I was back in the Apple store on 5th Ave. in NYC today. Yes, I want to rub it in all I can. Before I get started, the keyboards on those things rocks. I wish I could replace my 12" iBook keyboard with the MB version. I think I still like my MBP keyboard best of all but the MB is flat out awesome.

I agree--the keyboards are great. I'd buy a Macbook just for the KB if I had any $$.

Quote:

I was looking at the battery size and notice that holy cow! The MacBook batter appeard at least 66% larger than my iBooks. What the heck is up with this? When I unplugged it and turned the brightness down until it was one click from being dark, the time left was 4 hours and 22 minutes. Ugh. Are the battery lifes on those not as good as the 12" iBooks?

Too bad they don't have CPU performance settings or does Intel do that automagically (conserve power)? I would turn my down to 500 MHz if I thought it would last sufficiently longer.

Whoa, I'm lucky to get 3 hours battery life on my I book!

Maybe that's why I get lousy battery life: problems with brightness, image and sound! My Ibook's brightness has always sucked. My screen setting is turned full up, and I can can still barely see it in daylight in the Applestore (something to do with flourescent lights?) My sound is weak: even at max volume, I can barely hear I tunes.

In fact, Apple just replaced my original battery, dead after only 100 cycles. I'm convinced they did this for one reason: it's cheaper to blame it on the battery than replace the entire computer. (It was just too easy!)[
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I get at least 5.5 hours out my iBook (18 Months old and nearly 100 cycles on the battery). I turn the screen down low, mute the sound and be sure that all the programs I am going to use are open before I unplug.

I was shocked that there was such a difference in battery size and the MB got less battery life. Maybe the next round of Intel chips will give better battery life spans.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

I turn the screen down low, mute the sound and be sure that all the programs I am going to use are open before I unplug.

You mean "closed"?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrash

You mean "closed"?

I mean unplug the electricity. That way my processor isn't working hard trying to open all the programs I will use.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

I mean unplug the electricity. That way my processor isn't working hard trying to open all the programs I will use.

Noooo!. I know that. you said "I make sure all my programs are open before I shut down."

When I said closed, I was referring to closing programs. not shitting down.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    BTW, what were you "rubbing in" in your original post on this topic? I assume something happened at your Applestore visit, and you'd written about it in another post.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrash

BTW, what were you "rubbing in" in your original post on this topic? I assume something happened at your Applestore visit, and you'd written about it in another post.

Rubbing in - Just visiting the best Apple store in the land. (tough crowd here)

Then I meant "open". I make sure my programs are open before I unplug. I never shut down, I just shut the lid. Who shuts down a mac notebook anymore??
  • Reply 8 of 8
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Can anyone else comment on the battery life of their MacBook, especially compared to an iBook or PowerBook?