G5 power mac quiet?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i was wondering are G5 Power Macs quieter than the orignal quicksilvers? are they quiet? i'm just wondering because i think i'm going to have to replace my quicksilver and i'm wondering if there is room for improvement on the noise front..ie i may wait for the new pro mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I used to have a Dual 2.0, now I have a Quad. The former we quiet, this one is a bit louder.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,455moderator
    The quad is noisy and I have to say not as snappy at waking up or booting either. There is a big delay somewhere and it makes a big powering up noise - kinda like an aircraft engine starting. Not sure if that's the liquid cooling.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    Lol, that is really true. The red light inside the tower comes on, then it sounds like a 747 for a minute, then you wait about 10 seconds, then it comes on. The benefit is, you can have 20 applications up and running perfectly when it wakes up .
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i was wondering are G5 Power Macs quieter than the orignal quicksilvers? are they quiet? i'm just wondering because i think i'm going to have to replace my quicksilver and i'm wondering if there is room for improvement on the noise front..ie i may wait for the new pro mac

I plan to wait until the next revision. If the buyer's guide advice I've seen is right, the workstation line is overdue for an update. I would not be surprised to see it announced at WWDC but I haven't tracked it in the past to know how often they've used it to announce hardware updates.

I plan to use it to operate a specialized piece of machinery that only has Windows drivers, at least, if it will work under Parallels and/or whatever Leopard has in store for virtualization, I think it might be worthwhile.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

i was wondering are G5 Power Macs quieter than the orignal quicksilvers?

I own a 2 ghz dual core G5 and find it to be very quiet. It sits on the desk beside me, about 20 inches from my ear and I can just barely hear the fans going. I do a lot of audio recording and it is just fine.

Quote:

I would not be surprised to see it announced at WWDC but I haven't tracked it in the past to know how often they've used it to announce hardware updates.

I'm pretty sure the original G5 PowerMacs were announced at WWDC. It is usually a good venue for hardware announcements, often brought out after a new OSX revision and demo.