Love it, but Macbook trac pad click button?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ive been travelling for the last couple of months, so I havent had the chance to check out the Macbooks that were released in May.

But I am back in NYC now, and made a b line to the new 5th ave apple store to see em up close and personal.

First, I LOVE the new Macbook. Especially the black(which i was suprised by since I was planning on getting the classic white). The black is really really cool up close. I like the feel of the new keyboard. I like the new glossy screen. Its ALL GOOD.

But, i did notice alot of the floor models had a sticky track pad button. I had heard that was an issue online. It was disheartening to find this.

I am going to check the rest of the models here. Its crowded right now, so it may take awhile.

If they all have it, then i will wait for the 2nd revision. If not, i will buy me one of the black macbooks right now.

Anyone else find this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    I ordered mine the day it was released and have been using it since. I have had no problem with the trackpad.

The only problem (not bad at all though) is the squeeky hinge. Like I said, not loud, not all the time, but not perfect.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Actually, I got to try the rest of the macbooks in the apple store(the 5th ave store is HUGE) and was happy to find the rest didnt seem to have any click button problems.

Yay!

HOWEVER....under more careful scrutiny...I did notice something else. And THIS one really troubles me.

I noticed that the top piece of plastic that covers the entire area surrounding the keyboard and trackpad....seems to be almost "veneered" on....because all along the edge of the macbook, it appeared to be coming up in certain areas.

I have to say, that this is the one MAJOR flaw in the macbook design that REALLY bothers me. Not only is it aesthetically unappealing, but it weakens the designs sturdiness. Even the older ibooks had a top piece of plastic that fit together snuggly along the side of the laptop with the bottom piece. It was SOLID. But the new macbooks have this cheap flimsy looking veneer slapped on the top that looks like it will pull up over time.

I am REALLY shocked. This is the first time that I would say I ever felt apple has taken a major step backward design wise and cheapened the look of their product. I dont know WHY apple did this. I think they really dropped the ball.

Anyone else notice this?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    you know? if what you say is true about the veneered top piece, the glue holding the piece on could be the cause of the discolouring.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Like I said, I haven't had those problems at all. The only thing I don't like is that is shows oils/grease. I have a macbookpro and macbook. I usually wash my hand before using the mbp, but not the MB. I'm on the computer all day, I don't get dirty. But everyones hand get a little greasy and my macbook shows it on the keys, trackpad, and wrist rests.

Anyone else notice this (compared to macbook/ibook/powerbook/windows notebooks)?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I had to return two for sticking trackpad buttons and last time I was at the apple store I noticed that a couple of the floor models had the problem.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    just got mine back from the repair center yesterday.

After waiting 3 weeks to get my macbook back I must say this is a very nice computer- I have absolutly no problems with it now. No moo, no sticky button, no stain, just apple bliss.