Firewire camera is probably in the mix

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's not exactly a hype maker, but I don't see a lot of FW cameras, nor cameras with huge capacity in the consumer level marketplace. iCamera?

So, if iPod is any indication, wouldn't a 5 GB HD, FW camera be next on the list of Steve-o's Wacky Fun Lifestyle Products?

Admittedly 5 GB is HUGE for a digital camera, unless the you are taking TIFFs, in which case you'd probably want some software......iPicture?

SdC

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    I like the name iTake. A new updated QuickTake.

I hope it can take movies as well as stills though.

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Sorry SdC, didnt see your topic. I am reposting mine here:

I dont think there will be an Apple branded Digital camera OR camcorder. It seems as if this market is already saturated with well-estaplished market leaders (Cannon, Sony, Olympus, Etc...)

I think they will go the other way. Make a nice piece of hardware that you plug into your mac via F/w that you can take on the Go that could d/l DV tapes and CF cards and other removeable media onto a HD (if size is a concern, use the iPod's HD), but I'm thinking something that DV tapes can actually be put into and CF cards too, like a media converter, so size will not be a primary concern. And it would keep the price relativly low...

What do you guys think? on track? off track?

-Paul
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>Sorry SdC, didnt see your topic. I am reposting mine here:

I dont think there will be an Apple branded Digital camera OR camcorder. It seems as if this market is already saturated with well-estaplished market leaders (Cannon, Sony, Olympus, Etc...)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure I can grasp the concept of a market saturated with leaders.

Michael
  • Reply 4 of 14
    A hard drive (doesnt have to be 5gb even) would be nice in a camera so you could have images saved as uncompressed tiffs- the jpeging on my dad's cannon makes virtually any image you take with it look rubbish when you blow it up to a4, and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off- ultimate quality still has it tuurned on and there's no seperate control...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    The current limitation on digital cameras is storage for uncompressed files. A multi-GB HD and fast transfer solution would finally bring the digital camera up to full speed.

As for market leaders, I'm sure Apple saw the Creatives and Rios out there, and yet they still made iPod.

SdC
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ec8orec8or Posts: 9member
    Wouldn't it be cool though if Apple could produce a cheaper digital camera which is compatible with SLR lenses like Canon ones or Nikon or something. Don't cameras with interchangeable lenses cost like over a £1000?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    It would be real cool, but digital SLR's still remain out of reach. I might however suggest the Olympus Camedia 100 ES Rapid Shot and the Olympus Camedia 2100 UZ as acceptable alternatives.

Both can be had for under US$600 street price, as they say.

go to <a href="http://innovation.olympus.com"; target="_blank">http://innovation.olympus.com</a>; to see 'em. The 2100 UZ even has a threaded barrel, allowing you to screw on additional lenses to the main body, which almost SLR-like. Combined with built in 10x optical zoom, these cameras are the shiznit.

I'd like to see Apple get into this range, camera-wise.

SdC
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Digital cameras and camcorders still have very little profit margins in them. Apple doesn't need to get into a marginal business and particularly one which they have little knowledge.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    [quote]As for market leaders, I'm sure Apple saw the Creatives and Rios out there, and yet they still made iPod.<hr></blockquote>

Creative and Rio are not the equal of Nikon, Canon, Kodak, Sony or even Epson. This is only the tip of the digital video and camera iceberg so to speak. Each of corporations are multi-national and have significant expertise is glass and electronics that Apple can't match.

If Apple chose to just rebrand another camera or DV recorder wouldn't be what iPod-like appliances are about. Its the notion of adding value to the Mac and making the platform unique. If Apple comes out with anything it would be software/peripherals that make the camera-computer interface seamless.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Digital cameras and camcorders still have very little profit margins in them. Apple doesn't need to get into a marginal business and particularly one which they have little knowledge.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thats what I was getting at...

Thats why I proposed my device that would expand the function of the cameras...

Sorry if it was unclear...

-Paul
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by ec8or:

<strong>Wouldn't it be cool though if Apple could produce a cheaper digital camera which is compatible with SLR lenses like Canon ones or Nikon or something. Don't cameras with interchangeable lenses cost like over a £1000?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think it unlikely Apple will introduce a camera, but, if they do, it won't be one with interchengeable lenses, Apple equipment is easy to use and will have to be a point and click.

From a technical point of view, 35mm lenses won't work so well with the smaller focal length digital camera bodies around at the moment, you need a different set of lenses.

Michael
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

Creative and Rio are not the equal of Nikon, Canon, Kodak, Sony or even Epson. This is only the tip of the digital video and camera iceberg so to speak. Each of corporations are multi-national and have significant expertise is glass and electronics that Apple can't match.

If Apple chose to just rebrand another camera or DV recorder wouldn't be what iPod-like appliances are about. Its the notion of adding value to the Mac and making the platform unique. If Apple comes out with anything it would be software/peripherals that make the camera-computer interface seamless.<hr></blockquote>

Ah, that is what I was getting at.

so we need an iPhoto for the software side and a Digital device...

I think it would be (rehashing my original post, but in a more coherant manner) an iPhoto/iMovie aware device with a Compact flash reader/smartcard reader/(Sony memstick reader?)/DV tape reader/analog converter. Connects via F/W. Also has 5 gb hd and ability to collect data on the road. price? about the same as iPod (assuming there is no need for 32mb of ram or an OS, IE everything is hardware based...)

clearer? agree? dissagree?

-Paul
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    We might get 2

one for still photos and one for video
  • Reply 14 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>We might get 2

one for still photos and one for video</strong><hr></blockquote>

But then I would have to choosE!!! Nooo!!!

(on second thought, I would probably get the CF converter one, it is more useful, you can always carry more DV tapes...)

Edit: On third thought, why would they even put video in something like this? It makes more sence for the video digital device to be a set-top box... hmmm

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>