Next Version of Safari?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What would you like to be in the next version of Safari? I my self would like to see bookmark search in the search box or some sort of keyword search where all I'd have to do is type in bookmark: mac and it will bring up that folder or all bookmark's tagged with mac.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,129member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sethrubenstein

    What would you like to be in the next version of Safari? I my self would like to see bookmark search in the search box or some sort of keyword search where all I'd have to do is type in bookmark: mac and it will bring up that folder or all bookmark's tagged with mac.



    Bingo! Opera's had this for years now. What's Apple's issue? I have a huge collection of bookmarks and all I have to do is type in a few characters and it drills down to the ones I need.



    How about letting us manage a collection of search sites as well? I should have a search field that has the usual suspects amazon, google, etc but I should be able to click on a websites search field and add that as well.



    Mail integration. I should be able to get access to my mail without actually opening mail.app. Safari should speak in the language of my mail format.



    Built in iTunes mini player. Sometimes I like to surf and jam. Develop a liteweight player that taps into my library. Make it smart to..when I'm on a computer site techno should be playing. When I sneak on over to a porn site the cheesiest 70's music in my collection should be playing
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Hmm I really like those last two ideas you had, especially the mail part. Thats a great idea a simple nice looking very simple like the built in rss reader mail plugin just to see if you got some new messages and read them.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How about a real History and Downloads window...kinda like what IE and Moz have had for freakin' years.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Saved sessions.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Oh yeah, that'd be nice. I've just gotten so used to Saft. Nuts how they have so much cool stuff like the Debug menu that they don't let power users turn on in Prefs unless they get a third party util. Open with...and User Agent...would be useful even for Joe Sixpacks, it's an understood concept. Full screen, session saving (in crash and when quitting) etc would be good to be built in. And a better magnify (Like Opera has had and been best at, forever.)
  • Reply 6 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    You know what I'd like?



    To be able to friggin pulldown the bookmarks like in IE. Having to have to click the bookmark icon and no see the website I'm on while searching through my 1 million bookmakrs is the stupidest shit I've ever some across.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    While maybe not as efficient for some, there already is a bookmark search at the bottom of the bookmarks window.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The add to bookmarks sheet is really, really hard to use once you have a lot of items. What's wrong with a resizable finder-esque window? I'm thinking, I guess, of something more like the open/save dialog boxes, or maybe even a browser-mode Finder window with your "collections" in a blue left pane, and embedded folders displayed column-style. The again, maybe a somewhat more specialized window like the Media Browser in iLife. Anyway, that add to bookmarks drop-down needs work! I always feel like I've taken a step back in time to 1997 with that thing.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah, the fact that it "goes" to the Bookmarks, and hijacks the page you are currently on, never made sense to me either. Why doesn't it just open a new window at least? Very, very, annoying. I'm writing to Apple about it now.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Support for Firefox extensions Or at least an extension mechanism similar to Firefox.



    Oh, and some performance and rendering improvements as well. Love Safari, but have to resort to Firefox for some sites. Can't stand the banner ads.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aecheylon

    The add to bookmarks sheet is really, really hard to use once you have a lot of items. What's wrong with a resizable finder-esque window? I'm thinking, I guess, of something more like the open/save dialog boxes, or maybe even a browser-mode Finder window with your "collections" in a blue left pane, and embedded folders displayed column-style. The again, maybe a somewhat more specialized window like the Media Browser in iLife. Anyway, that add to bookmarks drop-down needs work! I always feel like I've taken a step back in time to 1997 with that thing.



    God thank you someone else thinks this. It drives me nuts that I have a single long list of nested folders to choose from. Just have a miniature version of bookmarks pane when adding a bookmark, problem solved.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aecheylon

    The add to bookmarks sheet is really, really hard to use once you have a lot of items. What's wrong with a resizable finder-esque window? I'm thinking, I guess, of something more like the open/save dialog boxes, or maybe even a browser-mode Finder window with your "collections" in a blue left pane, and embedded folders displayed column-style. The again, maybe a somewhat more specialized window like the Media Browser in iLife. Anyway, that add to bookmarks drop-down needs work! I always feel like I've taken a step back in time to 1997 with that thing.



    God thank you someone else thinks this. It drives me nuts that I have a single long list of nested folders to choose from. Just have a miniature version of bookmarks pane when adding a bookmark, problem solved.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Also the Firefox search is more Mac-like than Safari's. I mentioned that in my letter too.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    "like IE" is a gross phrase
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    Bingo! Opera's had this for years now. What's Apple's issue? I have a huge collection of bookmarks and all I have to do is type in a few characters and it drills down to the ones I need.



    I've never used this feature. How is it different from being able to type the first few letters into the address bar and Safari shows the websites you have visited.



    Quote:

    It drives me nuts that I have a single long list of nested folders to choose from. Just have a miniature version of bookmarks pane when adding a bookmark, problem solved.



    You can choose to only use the Bookmark bar. That way you can divide your bookmarks into categories, and build the nests with related sites. That way each pull down will be shorter and contain the same type of site.
Sign In or Register to comment.