Buying 3rd Party Macbook Ram

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am advising a potential switcher on a macbook purchase. She is very price conscious and I am trying to keep the price as low as I can so that she won't get a dell. I really haven't checked in awhile as to whether Apple's prices are still sky high but I figured throwing this question out might garner some quick answers. Are there and if so where, any places to buy quality ram for the macbook for cheap? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Check out

www.ramseeker.com

I have used memorytogo a couple of times with no problems. Just be sure to get memory that is guaranteed for life and you shouid have great results.

You should be able to find 2 gigs (2 - 1 gig sticks) for less than $170 or 1 gig (2 - 512mb sticks) for about $80.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rmh1572

I am advising a potential switcher on a macbook purchase. She is very price conscious and I am trying to keep the price as low as I can so that she won't get a dell. I really haven't checked in awhile as to whether Apple's prices are still sky high but I figured throwing this question out might garner some quick answers. Are there and if so where, any places to buy quality ram for the macbook for cheap? Thanks in advance.

If you think that 1 GB will do for her (and for that vast majority of people, it will), it is best just to get the upgrade from Apple.

The MacBook ships with both RAM slots full, as using matched pairs of RAM doubles the memory bandwidth. Therefore, if you wanted to bump to 1 GB after buying the machine, you'd have to remove 2 sticks of 256 MB first. Sure, if you sell the sticks, you'll save yourself $50 or whatever, but is it worth the effort? At least with Apple-supplied RAM, if anything goes wrong with the machine, it's definitely Apple's problem and not possibly 3rd party RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Oh, I forgot to say, if you can't lure her away from Windows, at least stop her from getting a DELL. They make, without doubt, the shittest laptops on the planet. Tell her to get an Acer instead.