Superman Returns: Plot Holes (Spoilers!!!)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Let me count the ways:

Most obvious: Lois has "forgetten" that Superman is Clark Kent, but not that he is the father of her baby.

At the end of SII, Superman realizes that he can't have a relationship with Lois if he is "the man of steel" and he certainly can't give up his powers and let the world suffer. So, theortically, he lets Lois "go." So what the FRELL is he doing in this movie?!! What is he, the psycho boyfriend who can't be serious enough to have a relationship, but by golly, Lois can't be involved with Someone else either. \

And boy did they cast WAY too young. So Lois was AT LEAST in her mid-30s when they took off for their rendouvous at the Fortress of Solitude and now she's what, 25 at the most? More like 22. And according to SI, the man of steel was at least 34 when everything started (17 when he went north; 17 years in the fortress, right? or was that 18?) Now, he's what, way (way) less than 30? I mean, if they have a kid whose 5, it almost looks likes the man of steel is not only psycho, he's also a pedaphile.

And why (oh why) not bring Gene Hackman back as Lex Luther? He was awesome. I like Kevin Spacey, but he just isn't Lex. He can definitely be scary, but the humor just isn't there.

And never (never) did it feel like mankind was really in trouble. Who would ever live in the "crystal" generated land?

Okay, I'll stop. For now.

I liked the first hour of the movie, and after it was over, was pretty happy. Until I got to thinking. Superman versus Batman is sounding better and better all the time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Hackman always plays too much of an annoying prick -- the kind of person that you just want to break his neck because he's such a little bitch. (At least that's how I feel. I also hate Al Pacino). I thought Spacey was cast well, since it had to be convincing that he was someone patient enough to wait for years as he slowly hatched the master plan.

As for the plot holes, I wasn't terribly familiar with the earlier movies, but I definitely felt a little bit of suspicion about said elements. But I'm also glad that they didn't think they had to necessarily kowtow to all the precedents, which I think would have weighed-down the flick.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I didn't like it much. I think it suffers from the same problems the newer Simpsons episodes suffer from. They are just trying to maintain the same style. They even put the ditsy girl beside Lex again. Smallville impressed me enormously because they shook up the genre.

I don't really like Gene Hackman much but sometimes he's ok like in Enemy of the State. I'd say Kevin Spacey did better than I expected but he just didn't look right. I'm still convinced his head is the wrong shape.

The plot was kinda boring and I thought the whole Lois and Superman relationship was a bit awkward. They didn't seem to have any chemistry. Plus this Superman looks like a geek in and out of 'disguise'. Not even any abs.

As pointed out, the ages don't match up either. Superman's mother is an old decrepit woman and Lois has gone from middle age down to nubile 20-something.

The costume looks awful. It looks so plastic. I think the cloth look is much better. And they changed the colours slightly for seem reason. Darker blue and a more blood red. I don't like it at all.

The special effects were average, certainly nothing we haven't seen before. King Kong for example pushed the boundaries somewhat.

Overall, it was ok but it's a movie I'd watch just once.