Phishing email from appleinsider user?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I just got this phishing email in my inbox from an appleinsider forum user....

the email this was sent to is my business email. I never use it on internet forms, i did once on appleinsider and now im getting this crap!!!!

"This is a message from tim001 at AppleInsider ( http://forums.appleinsider.com/index.php ). The AppleInsider owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email tim001, you can use this online form:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/membe...m&userid=27772

OR, by email:

mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

(Confidential) From Timothy Coulibaly.

Avenue 16 Rue 13

Treichville Abidjan

Ivory coast.

Greetings in the name of the almighty, and may his grace continue to assist you and I, as you open your heart in helping me out of this unbearable situation of my family disaster. Please give me this godly help for our almighty will reward you in abundant.

Please permit me to inform you of my mind, Because I have make up my mind to write to you this way. however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will. I am Timothy Coulibaly, 22 years old and the only son of my late parents Mr and Mrs Coulibaly, my late father was a highly reputable business merchant in a cocoa who operated in the capital of Ivory Coast during his days.

Unfortunately I lost him mysteriously died in France during one of his business trips abroad last year October 2005. though his sudden death was linked or rather suspected to have been masterminded by an uncle of his who travelled with him at that time. But God knows the truth. My mother died when I was just 4 years old, and since then my late father took me so special. Before his death on, October / 9th / 2005, he called the secretary who accompanied him in hospital and told him to call me, on my arrival to the hospital my father told me that he deposited the sum of ten million US Dollars.(10 000,000 USD) Which the money was left in an suspense/domiciliary account which I will be accessible when I am 28 but I am only 22 now, that my father did, not knowing of his untimely death.

Because the money was deposited in an suspense account in one of the leading bank in Africa. He further told me that he deposited the money in his name, and I as the next of kin and finally issued a written instruction to his lawyer whom he said is in possession of all the necessary legal document to all his properties. I am just 22 years old and a University undergraduate and really don’t know what to do. Now I want an account overseas where I can transfer this funds. This is because I have suffered lot of set back as a result of family enmity and incessant political crisis here in Ivory coast. Please, I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance in this regards. Your suggestions and ideas will be highly regarded.

Now permit me to ask these few question ?.

1. Can I completely trust you?

2. Can you honestly help me as your new family?

3. To serve as the guardian of this fund and help us with investing.?

4. To provide a bank account where this money would be transferred the bank director said it can be an empty account so far it is valid.

5. What percentage of the total amount in question will be good for you after the money is in your account?.

Please, Consider this and get back to me through my personal mailbox at :[email protected] )

Thanks an I will be looking forward to here from you that you have approve my proposal.

Thank you, my sincere regards,

Timothy Coulibaly.

"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Same here.

I was just getting ready to PM kasper when I ran accross your thread...Kasper, if you want full headers, I think I can hook you up.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I got the same email on my gmail.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Same here.

I was just getting ready to PM kasper when I ran accross your thread...Kasper, if you want full headers, I think I can hook you up.

Please PM the headers to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Please PM the headers to me.

done...oddly enough, they are bouncing these things off of Macnn servers...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

done...oddly enough, they are bouncing these things off of Macnn servers...

Thanks for the info. I've banned the user and modified the forum settings so that it shouldn't happen again.

(I've done this to as much of a degree as is possible without inconveniencing the majority of users who might have a legitimate reason to send another user an email rather than a PM.)

While this is only the 2nd time I've seen this happen on AI, it may be a wakeup call to those who don't want any email contact with other users (or foreigners with excess cash) to change their settings in the User CP.

Quote:

Hide Email Address?

Clicking yes hides your email address in your public profile, so that it is not accessible by other users.

Thanks, again, for bringing this to our attention!