Running the same copy of XP twice on your MBP - legal?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is it legal to run XP insalled via bootcamp and then run the same copy installed via parallels on the same MBP? Or does MS consider that breaking the EULA?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I'm sure MS does.

They still even protect Windows 1.0 ...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

I'm sure MS does.

They still even protect Windows 1.0 ...

After much looking, they do consider those two machines. Complete BS.

oh well, they still gave me an activation code. Crap, I can't run boot camp and parallels at the same time on my mbp so they can kiss my butt.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Is it legal to run XP insalled via bootcamp and then run the same copy installed via parallels on the same MBP? Or does MS consider that breaking the EULA?

If you bought it it is legal; IF it is a licence violation, it would not be illegal, it would be a breech of license; also, it could technicaly be classified as fair use.

But hey, if you paid the $$$ for a legal copy of Windows, MS will not bug ya' Could you imagine the PR mess if they sued a customer over this, for not having 2 licences for ONE laptop? 'twould be interesting...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If you bought it it is legal; IF it is a licence violation, it would not be illegal, it would be a breech of license; also, it could technicaly be classified as fair use.

But hey, if you paid the $$$ for a legal copy of Windows, MS will not bug ya' Could you imagine the PR mess if they sued a customer over this, for not having 2 licences for ONE laptop? 'twould be interesting...

It is legal and I am doing it. I would tell Bill Gates if he were in my house watching me do it. One machine needs one copy.

BTW, parallels freekn rocks on my MacBook Pro! I am running AutoCad faster than on my Gateway machine at work! I may be able to kiss my PC goodbye if I can get my designjet 500 (or whatever) printing through USB tomorrow) thorugh my new virtual XP installation. This is great news!!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

It is legal and I am doing it. I would tell Bill Gates if he were in my house watching me do it. One machine needs one copy.

BTW, parallels freekn rocks on my MacBook Pro! I am running AutoCad faster than on my Gateway machine at work! I may be able to kiss my PC goodbye if I can get my designjet 500 (or whatever) printing through USB tomorrow) thorugh my new virtual XP installation. This is great news!!

A lot of the big design printers have print servers built in, I say just do it through the network...IT Dept. willing...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

A lot of the big design printers have print servers built in, I say just do it through the network...IT Dept. willing...

I am the IT department.

It is an older model, about 4 years old and uses the old style parallel cable found on so many older PC's. They have USB cable swaps but the thing sits a good 20 feet from me.

I may get me a network print server like you suggested and do it that way. That would be sweet!

Thanks man.