You have to pay for MPEG-2 Support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
yes, you read right.

go to the AppleStore, enter "mpeg" into the search field, an there you go:

[quote] Please note:

The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component requires QuickTime 6 or QuickTime 6 Pro. Before purchasing, make sure you've already installed QuickTime 6. If you haven't, please click here to do so now.

The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component provides QuickTime 6 users with the ability to import and play back MPEG-2 content, including both muxed (the audio and video tracks have are interlaced together into one track) and non-muxed (a.k.a. elementary) program streams. It is perfectly suited for professional and semi-professional content creators with projects such as:

? Professional content production -- Throughout the professional content production process, many approvals and progress checks are necessary. With QuickTime 6 and the QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component, your clients and reviewers can view your MPEG-2 streams on either a Mac or Windows-based PC, and provide feedback.

? Transcoding content -- Now all your elementary MPEG-2 program streams can be imported into QuickTime Pro and exported to other formats such as MPEG-4, the new international standard for Internet media, QuickTime Movie, or DV Stream, to name a few. By transcoding your MPEG-2 content into other formats, it can be used in new forums, such as on the web, on CD-ROM, or on DV tape.

What it doesn't do

The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component provides the ability to play back MPEG-2 program streams, but it does not play back these types of media:

? Encrypted DVDs -- Professionally produced, commercial DVDs (such as Hollywood movies) are often encrypted with special anti-piracy software, called Content Scramble System (CSS). In order to view these DVDs, decryption software is required and is included in DVD players. But decryption software is not included in QuickTime or the QuickTime 6 MPEG-2Playback Component.

? Transport streams -- The MPEG-2 specification defines two forms of data streams, program streams and transport streams. Each is optimized for a different set of applications and environments. The QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component will play back program streams, which combine audio and video streams that share a common timeline and are suited for applications with software processing. Playback of transport streams, which combine audio and video with independent time bases for environments where errors are likely, is not supported.

For volume purchases, please call (800) 474-7483.

QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback Component

Recommended System Requirements for Mac OS X:

? QuickTime 6 or QuickTime 6 Pro

? 500MHz G4 processor-based computer or faster

? 128MB of RAM or more

? Mac OS X, v10.1.3 or later <hr></blockquote>

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    shocking News, aren'they ?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not at all.

MPEG-2 = DVD playback.

If Apple doesn't play at least a little bit like the MPAA et al want, they don't get their DVD Player app licensed as legal to play DVDs.

The MPAA bloc already hates the fact that Apple has:

DVD playback

DVD authoring

DVD burning

MPEG-4 playback

MPEG-4 authoring

**NO** 'digital rights management'

I can't say I'm surprised by the move at all, to make MPEG-2 a pay option. It makes the MPAA idjits a little less nervous, and helps Apple pay the licensing fees for MPEG-2 playback and authoring.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    yeah, i know. but they said Quicktime 6 would include MPEG-2 support. Now you have to pay extra.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    double:

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Can't argue with that... unless maybe to say that QT is also supposed to have authoring capabilities... but you have to pay for Pro for most of those to be enabled... :/

I guess I see it as a necessary evil to keep the MPAA/RIAA and their minions at bay. Sucks, but...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong> but you have to pay for Pro for most of those to be enabled... :/</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, the MPEG-2 feature is also in that way...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    All copies of the pro version should include MPEG2 as standard, being able to opt out for a discount. That way they would sell a lot more, and perhapps make more money.

I don't know why every one is so worried about Apple support for DVD, the tools on PC's seem to enable pirating far more easily.

DIVX rips of DVD's are a joke, loads of people seem to be buying/downloading them. personally I think it is terrible for the studios, and will kill a lot of small film production.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Huge difference between a bunch of shareware tools and Apple authorized and shipped tools. Apple's a big target, and too reliant on the technology licensing to play loose with it.