Unconfirmed Mac Pro specs / dual optical drives!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
These were submitted anonymously to AppleInsider recently:

Good: Dual-Core 2GHz Intel Xeon, 512MB DDR 667, ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, 250GB Hard Drive,$1799

Better: Dual-Core 2.33GHz Intel Xeon, 1GB DDR2 667, ATI Radeon X1800 Pro, 320GB Hard Drive, $2499

Best: Two Dual-Core 2.66 Intel Xeon, 1GB DDR2 667, ATI Radeon X1800 Pro, 320GB Hard Drive, $3299

The anonymous report also included a prediction of dual optical drives, which lines up with another AppleInsider report.

The specs look friggin' great, I hope there's a way of getting a single-processor 2.66 though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Good: Dual-Core 2GHz Intel Xeon, 512MB DDR 667, ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, 250GB Hard Drive,$1799

Better: Dual-Core 2.33GHz Intel Xeon, 1GB DDR2 667, ATI Radeon X1800 Pro, 320GB Hard Drive, $2499

Best: Two Dual-Core 2.66 Intel Xeon, 1GB DDR2 667, ATI Radeon X1800 Pro, 320GB Hard Drive, $3299

The anonymous report also included a prediction of dual optical drives, which lines up with another AppleInsider report.

The specs look friggin' great, I hope there's a way of getting a single-processor 2.66 though.

Assuming that the motherboard supports dual sockets, buying a single socket machine ("Good" or "Better") will give the option of upgrading to Clovertowns in the future. That is, get the 2GHz model now and in Q1 2007 replace it by 2 quad-core Clovertowns. It would be nice if Apple can provide this upgrade path via AppleCare.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think the main limitation to that will be getting the prerequisite cooling system, something that's probably not off the shelf.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

I think the main limitation to that will be getting the prerequisite cooling system, something that's probably not off the shelf.

And hence Applecare ...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    You honestly think that Apple is going to aid you in adding new processors to your computer?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

You honestly think that Apple is going to aid you in adding new processors to your computer?

I don't expect Apple to sell single socket Mac Pros. As I have said several times on the forum, even the lowest end Macs (Mini, edu iMac, MB) are dual core, the Pro machine has to be much more.

If I am going to spend $1799 + atleast $500 (for more memory, Applecare etc), I might as well spend an additional $350 odd (for another 2GHz Woodcrest) to get DOUBLE the processing power. I have already paid for the more expensive (compared to Conroe) motherboard, and memory (FB-DIMM), etc that's required by the Bensley platform.

SO, if they DO offer a single socket Mac Pro, they are expecting customers to upgrade it now or when Clovertown comes along. It's better for Apple if they offer that future upgradability and get a % of the profit from those sales. If not DON'T sell single socket machines - make that additional $ NOW by selling all Quad core.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    They're just going to say "if you want dual processors / quad cores, buy another Mac Pro".
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

They're just going to say "if you want dual processors / quad cores, buy another Mac Pro".

If the buyer understands my "double the power for mere $350 more" argument then I don't expect them to buy the lower two models.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

The specs look friggin' great...

Not to me. Other vendors will be selling Core 2 Duo systems (with the same performance as Xeon) for much cheaper.

Quote:

I think the main limitation to [processor upgrades] will be getting the prerequisite cooling system, something that's probably not off the shelf.

Sure, but the Mac upgrade companies can easily hire somebody in Taiwan to design a cooler that will fit in a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Sure, but the Mac upgrade companies can easily hire somebody in Taiwan to design a cooler that will fit in a Mac Pro.

Really now. So why did nobody do this for the G5?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I suspect the difficulty in building a G5 CPU upgrade is (1) convincing IBM to sell you the chips at a reasonable price, (2) designing a custom interposer card, (3) setting the right values in the EEPROM, (4) designing a custom heatsink, etc.

Now let's consider upgrading an Intel Mac. The processor is off the shelf, there's no interposer, etc. All you have to do is design the heatsink.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Because with the G5, it was the G5 that was in short supply, not the cooling unit.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    This all sounds hopeful - either the heatsink attachment system will be completely standard, or a couple of third parties will be very interested...

David
  • Reply 13 of 16
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

How much faster is a dual core 2.0 Xeon versus a dual core G5?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Processor upgrade vendors typically overclock the processor. I see two problems. One, designing a cooler to allow an overclocked G5 to run reliably is a daunting task and may require refrigeration. Perhaps, Peltier cooling would work. Two, each G5 processor must be custom-mated to its cooling unit.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

One, designing a cooler to allow an overclocked G5 to run reliably is a daunting task and may require refrigeration.

But that's exactly what wmf apparently disagrees with:

Quote:

the Mac upgrade companies can easily hire somebody in Taiwan to design a cooler that will fit in a Mac Pro.

"Easily hire someone to design a cooler" is quite the opposite of "designing a cooler is a daunting task", no?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

How much faster is a dual core 2.0 Xeon versus a dual core G5?

A number of sites have said that the high-end Macbook Pro was similar in speed to their quad Powermac. So when we get the quad Xeon, it should be mighty nice.