To add an internal HD to dual G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I want to add an internal HD (most probably a 250GB 7200RPM HD from Maxtor) to a dual 2GHz G5 (the model from winter 2005). Do you guys have links to good pictures and reviews about how to do that ?

I'm also concerned about the HD's temperature sensor and power supply link. What should I know before buying that HD and installing it inside de G5 ?

And what is the best/fastest drive available for that G5 model ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

I want to add an internal HD (most probably a 250GB 7200RPM HD from Maxtor) to a dual 2GHz G5 (the model from winter 2005). Do you guys have links to good pictures and reviews about how to do that ?

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...directory.html

Link above has videos. Look in lower right corner for the G5. This is so easy, a monkey could do it.

I had a DOA Maxtor and I have heard others not like that brand, but you know how it is.

Quote:

I'm also concerned about the HD's temperature sensor and power supply link. What should I know before buying that HD and installing it inside de G5 ?

Any 7200 RPM SATA drive will be fine. Just choose the brand, really and the price. The G5 is already pre-set to handle the temperature - you don't have to do anything. That cooling zone is controlled by the OS. The cables are right there ready to be connected, and it just slides right into the empty hard drive bay.

Quote:

And what is the best/fastest drive available for that G5 model ?

There is negative feedback about Maxtor, although since my DOA 250 GB from Tiger Direct ($114 after rebate) was replaced, the new one has been perfect. So personally I will choose another brand next time - I don't think it matters which one.

You put the bracket screws in, slide in the drive, plug the two cables in and boot. Disk Utility will see the new drive - you partition and format it and you are good to go. Less than 15 minutes from opening the box.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali I want to add an internal HD (most probably a 250GB 7200RPM HD from Maxtor) to a dual 2GHz G5 (the model from winter 2005). Do you guys have links to good pictures and reviews about how to do that ?

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...directory.html

Link above has videos. Look in lower right corner for the G5. This is so easy, a monkey could do it.

I had a DOA Maxtor and I have heard others not like that brand, but you know how it is.

Quote:

Any 7200 RPM SATA drive will be fine. Just choose the brand, really and the price. The G5 is already pre-set to handle the temperature - you don't have to do anything. That cooling zone is controlled by the OS. The cables are right there ready to be connected, and it just slides right into the empty hard drive bay.

Quote:

And what is the best/fastest drive available for that G5 model ? [/B]

There is negative feedback about Maxtor, although since my DOA 250 GB from Tiger Direct ($114 after rebate) was replaced, the new one has been perfect. So personally I will choose another brand next time - I don't think it matters which one.

You put the bracket screws in, slide in the drive, plug the two cables in and boot. Disk Utility will see the new drive - you partition and format it and you are good to go. Less than 15 minutes from opening the box.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Thanks !

And what about the best HD available ? Any other opinions/experiences ?

What I want to install is the fastest and most reliable HD, whatever the cost. I guess they are all the same ?

Also, using two internal HD, can I expect any noticeable speed increase if I put the OS on one HD and all the caches on the other one ?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

What I want to install is the fastest and most reliable HD, whatever the cost. I guess they are all the same ?

Then you want two 10,000rpm drives with a FibreChannel card to interface it with a RAID configuration .
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Then you want two 10,000rpm drives with a FibreChannel card to interface it with a RAID configuration .

Well, I just want to add the thing inside the G5. I don't want anything on the exterior side, as it's already cluttered with a cable mess.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

LOL - He really set himself up for that one.